Thread: Leaves ?

Mike Moats

Default Leaves ?

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot these leaves at a botanical garden run by the U of Michigan. Forgot to take a look at the name of the plant (thats why the question mark). I shot this with a shallower depth of field placing the focus on the left leaf with the idea of pulling the eye to the left when viewed. Heading back there this morning for more fun.:)

Fuji S5, Sigma 180, Tripod, Natural light, F8 @ 1sec.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike,

I like the numerous diagonals, details and the way your S5 captured the greens and pinks. My eyes go to the left image and then to the right leaf and out of the frame. Do like the way you planned this photo.

Wish I was headed with you to U of Michigan's botanical garden. Keep these photos coming...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, I like your use of the shallow DOF. I think I would like the image better if you had taken the shot in such a way that the other half of the BG leaf was behind the front leaf. In that case you would have a OOF repetition in the BG of the lines in the FG.
    Am I making any sense :confused:? With this kind of complex explanation, language becomes a bit of a barrier...:o

Gordon Craig

Hello Mike,

Did they allow you to use a tripod at the U of M botanical gardens? I went there recently and I was not allowed to bring a tripod in. I heard the the botanical gardens on Bell Isle in Detroit allows a tripod. I was thinking of going there.

Mike Moats

Hey Gordon, this is the Matthaei Botanical Gardens, which is run by U of M, and they will let you in with a tripod during the week but not on the week-ends.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful shot. Love the in focus foreground leaf with that green diagonal cutting across. Also like the blurry leaf in the background. Very nice composition.

Julie Kenward

My eye INSTANTLY went to the left so great kudos on "planning" the image that way. I might take a bit more off the right side so it's more 2/3 in focus and 1/3 out. Now it feels almost half and half.

Gorgeous colors, Mike!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, Wonderful lines and detail.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The above comments say it all. Great lines, colors, composition. I am surprised when I see one of your shallow dof photos. :D I see what Lules means by making it 2/3 to 1/3, but if more were taken off the right, that second diagonal line would be lost. I'd like to see the same image with everything sharp just as a comparision.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike. Lovely shot. I actually like it just the way it is. Great lines, colours and texture.:)