Thread: Robin and berries

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Robin and berries

Attached Images Attached Images

Found this robin on my way home. Full frame, cloned out some berries on the right hand side, sharpened in usm.

Camera: NIKON D90
    Lens: AF-S VR Nikkor 500mm F4G ED
    Software: Nikon Transfer 1.3 W
    Aperture: F9
    Exposure time: 1/320" (+1*EV)
    ISO speed rating: 400/27°
    Program: Aperture priority
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    White Balance: Auto
    Focus Mode: AF-C
    Image Stabilizer: On
    Noise Reduction: Off
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roy:

I like the idea of the bird with berries.

The bird seems a bit dark on my monitor, and I would consider increasing the exposure at least 1/2 stop or perhaps more.

The head angle is a bit away from us.

The clone work on the right has left some artifacts on the remaining berries.

Always good to keep your eyes open when out and about, you never know what you might find.

Cheers

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

PS"

Roy, if you push the exposure a bit higher, you will probably have to run recovery on the blown highlights in the sky, but I tried it, and preferred the bird a bit brighter.

The sharpening is showing some artifacts along the edges of the bird. It looks a bit 'cut out". I am pretty sensitive to sharpening, and others may feel it is fine.

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roy, Although I am still getting used to a new monitor, it does appear a bit on the dark side to me also. Focus and sharpness look very good and a bit of a head turn would have been very nice. It looks like quite a few berries left so birds will definitely be hanging around there for a while. Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Roy:

I like the idea of the bird with berries.

The bird seems a bit dark on my monitor, and I would consider increasing the exposure at least 1/2 stop or perhaps more.

The head angle is a bit away from us.

The clone work on the right has left some artifacts on the remaining berries.

Always good to keep your eyes open when out and about, you never know what you might find.

Cheers

Randy
    Randy, thanks for the comments, it's a bit dark on my Macbook pro but less so on my PC . I seem to like my shots darker than most so it's something I'll have to work on. I'll go back to the raw file and re work the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Leroy View Post
    Hi Roy, Although I am still getting used to a new monitor, it does appear a bit on the dark side to me also. Focus and sharpness look very good and a bit of a head turn would have been very nice. It looks like quite a few berries left so birds will definitely be hanging around there for a while. Dave
    Hey Dave, it's darker on the forum than it is on my monitor. It was like the robin was frozen, I whistled at him and he turned his head directly at me, would that be a better head angle than this. He looks quite comical when looking directly at you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know what you mean about looking funny in photos on those straight on shots. I think also with this photo the dark head adds to the impression of the bird not looking at you. I sometimes use the dodge tool to lighten up shadows or darker areas a bit. What we really need is a little sunshine!:) Dave