Thread: Hummingbird

LouisKeller

Default Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Not much experience in photographing these little guys. We do not get very many here in Austin, Texas.

Canon 5D, f/4, 1/200, ISO 200 500mm f/4 Canon lens on tripod. Canon 380 flash.

Deborah Hanson

I have no experience with photographing the hummers with flash so can't help with specs but when they are here during the summer I shoot with natural light. The wings blur but for me that's okay.
    I try to keep the shutter speed up past 1/640 sec and the aperture at f8 - depends on how close I can get. I'm sure that someone else would shoot differently but for me it works. The easiest is to shoot next to a feeder as you can usually time when the hummingbird will visit the feeder (10-15 minutes) and when it will back away from the feeder while it is feeding. Catching it at that moment isn't the easiest but is rewarding.
    Photographing hummingbirds can be addictive. Good luck.
    Any photograph of a hummingbird is a good photograph.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Howdy Louis. I agree with Deborah that hummingbird photography is addictive. My neighbors think I'm nuts with six flashes on light stands around a flower bed and feeder. I like the placement of the bird in the frame and the background, but the subject and perch look soft. Are you using a flash bracket? I ask because of the steel eye. What were your flash settings? I usually use manual settings so I can get the quickest burst of light and like I said multiple flash units to show the iridescence of the feathers.