Thread: Imitation Is...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Imitation Is...

Attached Images Attached Images

the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks to Denise for opening my eyes to fracting. And a big time thanks to her for my first OOTB private lesson (even if it was by phone) :)

This is the classic cover image of the original "The Art of Bird Photography" fracted with Glow 100 and some twists. Then I erased the eyes of the male and the eyes and the face of the female. To darken a single light area to our left of the birds I did a second Glow 100 and then erased all but the dark area.

Sorry for stealing :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is the ORIG, created on film with the old Canon FD 800mm at the Venice Rookery.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, This is a fantastic base image and a REALLY Great first frac. I think your image has a similar yet different look. I like the Glow 100 and think this image lends itself nicely to the effect. Great job. It was only a 2 minute lesson:) You figured it out quickly!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Denise. :eek:

Julie Kenward

Another beautiful fract image...they should ask you all to put images in their gallery! People would be buying this program right and left.

I might take a little off the bottom, Artie, as the green grass gets pretty sparse at the edge of the frame. I'd take a small piece off and leave it with the fuller area as the base of the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Liked the original when I first bought your book (before digital)...this fract image rocks for your first one...like the way the eyes stand out, and that you fracted sparingly..if you know what I mean...TFS

david cramer

Kudos to you and your instructor. The eyes really add depth to this image. Fracting looks like fun and I love how the birds glow! In addition to Julie's comment, I would suggest removing the three floating lines above the nest on the left side. Unlike the original image, I find them slightly distracting in the fracted image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Truly a fantastic fract image, Artie. I had always admired your original ever since I got it from Amazon.com years ago. This one takes it even further. I like those eyes and the glow. Beautifully presented.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Indranil Sircar View Post
    Truly a fantastic fract image, Artie. I had always admired your original ever since I got it from Amazon.com years ago. This one takes it even further. I like those eyes and the glow. Beautifully presented.
    Don't thank me; thank Ms. Ippolito :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Don't thank me; thank Ms. Ippolito :)
    Oh yes. She is the inspiration for OOTB and also Dave Phillips for all these wonderful filters he has shown us here. It is also your image that got us here in the first place:).
    Last edited by Indranil Sircar; 01-10-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david cramer View Post
    Kudos to you and your instructor. The eyes really add depth to this image. Fracting looks like fun and I love how the birds glow! In addition to Julie's comment, I would suggest removing the three floating lines above the nest on the left side. Unlike the original image, I find them slightly distracting in the fracted image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post
    Another beautiful fract image...they should ask you all to put images in their gallery! People would be buying this program right and left. I might take a little off the bottom, Artie, as the green grass gets pretty sparse at the edge of the frame. I'd take a small piece off and leave it with the fuller area as the base of the image.
    Thanks both. The repost addresses both suggestions. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh yes. She is the inspiration for OOTB and also Dave Phillips for all these wonderful filters he has shown us here. It is also your image that got us here in the first place:).
    I think that you have all of that :) :) And thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Indranil, I agree Dave Phillips has been a great inspiration to us all and has been introducing us all to great filters. He adds so much to this forum.
    Artie, You are the reason I signed up for BPN. Who knew that I would ever be able to inspire you after all the many times that you have inspired me. Thankyou:)
    PS-The repost looks great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denise ippolito View Post
    Indranil, I agree Dave Phillips has been a great inspiration to us all and has been introducing us all to great filters. He adds so much to this forum. Artie, You are the reason I signed up for BPN. Who knew that I would ever be able to inspire you after all the many times that you have inspired me. Thankyou:)
    PS-The repost looks great.
    I have been impressed by Dave's contributions to BPN in other Forums but was not aware of his great work here till I started hanging around :) Denise, I am glad that you hooked up (with BPN) as your work here has been stellar. And finally, you are most welcome :)

Alfred Forns

Big Time Artie ... love the image !!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Al. Next is DAP...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, It didn't take you long (with Denise's excellent help) to master Fractalius! And of course, you are the
    inspiration that led most of us to BPN:) It's a wonderful learning and sharing experience.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Slechta View Post
    Artie, It didn't take you long (with Denise's excellent help) to master Fractalius! And of course, you are the inspiration that led most of us to BPN :) It's a wonderful learning and sharing experience.
    I don't know much about mastering it, Denise showed me the basics and I was looking to copycat her GBH. Otherwise, thanks for your kind words. You guys are sure having fun here. :) Next I am gonna try to get DAP.

Cindy Mead

a marvelous fract Artie.. I really like how the fract. program emphasizes the flowing lines of the plumage in large waders like these herons, without losing the form of the birds. The repost is lovely, nice to see you 'fracting' :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Cindy. You are most kind.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie:

"Flattery will get you everything"!

Well done, Young man, your talent runneth over.

Thanks for sharing your artistry.

Uncle Gus