Thread: Grand Canyon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grand Canyon

Attached Images Attached Images

This photo made in November at the Ledges camp on the Colorado River. Nikon D700, ISO 1000, 17-35mm lens @ 30mm, f 11, 1/30.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one. Its always good to see the GC from inside. liked the water drip a lot. Congrats.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sarah, Good basic comp of an interesting view. I like your placement of the grass clump in the foreground along with the embankment line pointing you towards the backround. I thought the backround rock formation was somewhat light and I darkened it. You can do that by burning it in(using the burn tool) or I took a nik graduated filter and darkened it that way.
    I felt the sheen of water in the middle ground was a bit bright so I burned that also. You can still see the glare but now with more detail. A polariser probably would have taken most of that out.
    Finally, I cropped a sliver off the top feeling I could eliminate the small white band.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave,
    Thanks for your input. I had gone back and forth about the sky and the background rock. That helps.

Roman Kurywczak

Hi Sarah,
    I think Dave's repost helped bring some things into balance, but I am not sure the FG grasses add enough to the image for my tastes. You don't mention a polariser.....I mention this as the glare on the water is grabbing my eye and detracting from the wonderful colors. Even in overcast conditions with water present.....it is usually a good idea to use a polariser to eliminate glare. You say ISO 1000 also....typo or that is what you used?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost is much better for the reasons already mentioned. I use a polarizer whenever around water. As Roman mentioned, it would have reduced the glare off the rocks a lot. To me the grass in the lower area is nice and adds depth.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good DOF to show the layers, and I like the perspective. Dave's repost works well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,
    The ISO was in fact 1000, so this must've been done without a tripod. I can't actually remember whether I used a polarizer, as I had used it for many of my canyon photos. The logistics of photography on a river trip got out of hand at times.

Robert Amoruso

Hello Sarah,

I agree with Roman, though the idea of using a strong FG element is good, the grasses are not enough IMO.

An option here, if possible was to move left and make the river a strong leading line into the image.