Thread: Long-tailed Duck

Axel Hildebrandt

Default Long-tailed Duck

You know that it is a cold and windy morning when even these ducks look fluffed up. I made this at Barnegat Light a few days ago in the morning. There were thin clouds, which caused the soft light.

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/400s, f/8, EC +0.33, ISO 400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Axel, You always nail the technical elements, as you have done here. What I like most about this is the motion that you've captured in a static medium with the roll of the wave. His eye also looks very alive. A very enjoyable image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another species I havent seen before - interesting looking duck. I like the detail markings and colours on him, and thats a fairly large wave he has created. Was he swimming fast to keep warm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the bow wave, the light, and the sharpness. We had them right there but I came away empty due to the chop. Did not keep one....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the wave lapping at the duck's breast. Good sharpness and a nicely balanced exposure.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Bowie View Post
    Another species I havent seen before - interesting looking duck. I like the detail markings and colours on him, and thats a fairly large wave he has created. Was he swimming fast to keep warm.
    Thanks, Stuart! I think it is a combination of swimming and the choppy water.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Axel...loved the composition and the exposure. The duck is awesome too. Interesting tail for a duck.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Axel, Very nicely done. It looks like it's surfing. I love the water and the pose.

Peter Farrell

Very nice, I definetly like the wave, the overall sharpness and the dof.
    I have never seen this duck before, the head colorings remind me more of a puppy.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Axel. I like how he's nestled between the waves and his chest is visible under the water.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot of this beautiful duck! Wish we had them here during any time of year!! Love the wavelet, the soft light and colors on the bird. Well done!