Thread: Loggerhead Shrike #2

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Loggerhead Shrike #2

Attached Images Attached Images

SonyA700~Sony70-400G@400mm~ISO500~F6.3~1/320 sec~manual exposure~HH~overcast~12-31-2009~Houston, Texas~CS4
    I posted a Shrike image that had well meaning comments about head angles, which I might add I generally agree with, but not at the exclusion of other types of images. I sometimes think that what I consider to be a guideline has become a rule, and this has a limiting effect in the creation of unique images (in my humble opinion). So here is a Shrike photo, taken at the same time as the last one.
    comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill
    Last edited by WIlliam Maroldo; 01-02-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: noticed something

Aaron Lee

Very interesting BKRG,although the straight lines of the bokeh seem distracting to me for some reason. I would also calm down some of the perch branches. Nice work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Aaron. The whites of perch branches do need to be darkened. Forgot completely about the branches! Appreciate your input. regards~Bill

Aaron Lee

What was in that background? If you don't mind saying.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill

I like the shot based on the nice lighting, background, and the perch is appropriate for this bird (that some of us know as the butcher bird). I wish that this bird didn't have the somewhat stray feathers jutting out as they are. But that is a minor thing. I agree with you so much on your comment dealing with guidlines becoming rules. I have been thinking the same thoughts on some of the critiques I have read. Often one person will complain about a "guideline" that has not been met, but then the next reviewer(s) will come to the rescue with praise. That is a sure sign that the guideline did not matter much in that case. The last example I saw of this was in the various comments on a red bellied woodpecker head angle yesterday. But yes, I know, out of focus eyes, bad backgrounds, bad lighting and bad subjects and bad head angles need to be laid bare when they happen.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Christopher. Aaron, it was on a steep slope going down to a flood control reservoir, with trees in the background. I also did some background blurring, probably too much, which I should have mentioned. regards~Bill

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of my favorite birds! Not much to critique on this. Comp is nice, light is nice and soft and the branch is so perfect (and appropriate). I like the diagonal background very much as well. Nice!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WIlliam Maroldo View Post
    SonyA700~Sony70-400G@400mm~ISO500~F6.3~1/320 sec~manual exposure~HH~overcast~12-31-2009~Houston, Texas~CS4
    I posted a Shrike image that had well meaning comments about head angles, which I might add I generally agree with, but not at the exclusion of other types of images. I sometimes think that what I consider to be a guideline has become a rule, and this has a limiting effect in the creation of unique images (in my humble opinion). So here is a Shrike photo, taken at the same time as the last one.
    comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill
    There are no rules. If the bird's head is turned away it is rare that an image will be effective or pleasing. Very rare. Most images are unique to one degree or another so uniqueness is not really a plus unless the image is pleasing, interesting, dramatic, etc.; all the usual stuff that we are looking for.

The head angle here is pretty much perfect. Do you like it?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Too dark. Too flat. Yellow color cast. Correct all plus some Eye Doctor work. :)

ps: Bill: thanks for the invite to the Green Cay GTG. I may be able to make it.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: There was/is some artifacting in the BKGR angling up to the right from the bird's head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost better. Nice BG, HA, and thin perch. I still don't have a decent image of this species. I might sharpen the bird some more.