Thread: african harrier hawk

Marietjie Oosthuizen

Default african harrier hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

I cut the tips of the wing off this one, and fixed it with spare parts of another image.

Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mk IIN
    Lens: EF 500mm f/4 IS USM & 1.4x converter
    Shutter speed: 1/2000 sec
    Aperture: f/7.1
    Exposure mode: Tv
    Exposure comp: +2/3
    ISO 500
    Last edited by Marietjie Oosthuizen; 01-02-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marietjie,

Never seen these guys before.

Not a big fan of OOF weed in the lower right corner. I would go for a tighter crop to eliminate them.

Other than that, Focus is right on. DOF is great and excellent exposure. Excellent eye contact too.

Very nicely done.

Kris Mortensen

Great shot! Nice exposure & detail. I might play with lightening the underside of the dark wing to see if it helps. The bird is a little too high & to the left in the frame for my tastes, but a great shot!!

Forum Participant Joe Senzatimore's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too find the weeds distract from an otherwise fine image. The detail is magnificent.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loverly bird and I like the uptilted head. I too could do without the flowers.

Was the 4th primary on the bird's right wing actually that short? (If they are molting a feather on one side it is usually the same on the other...)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

ChasMcRae

Nice flight shot with bright light and like others I think the plants in the corner did not add to the picture.
    Another species I need to see.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely picture, and nice and sharp. You did well with the fixing of the clipped wing. You may be interested to hear that I saw 2 "gymnogenes" (the name I recall them) - at the Austin Roberts sanctuary in Pretoria last year. I think the OOF flowers should be cloned out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good angle, and love the gliding posture Marietjie. Another vote to remove the OOF flowers. Good job with recovering the wing tips BTW.

Marietjie Oosthuizen

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments guys, I was wondering about the flowers... Here's without the flowers.

I might play with lightening the underside of the dark wing to see if it helps.
    Kris, I have already lightened the underside of the wing quite substantially, it was almost pitch black. I think if I make it lighter much more it will become too noisy.

Was the 4th primary on the bird's right wing actually that short? (If they are molting a feather on one side it is usually the same on the other...)
    Arthur, I think the feathers are like that in this bird, I fixed the wing from the very next shot, where the bird's face was in the shade.

Neville, gymnogene is the old name, it was changed a few years ago :)
    Last edited by Marietjie Oosthuizen; 01-03-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info. I love the repost.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely captured in flight Marietjie. Detail very good and partly cloudy BG adds. Repost much better.

Kris Mortensen

Repost looks great! Great shot becomes a really great shot!!