Thread: Need Some Help "Sandhill Cranes"

Mike Kuran

Default Need Some Help "Sandhill Cranes"

I'm going to go and take some pictures of some sandhill cranes tomorrow I know this is short notice but we went to day and didn't have much luck! There were about 4000 cranes and it was cloudy and I have a D300 with a 600vr with a 1.4tc, I used ISO's starting at 1250 and got down to 400. I don't have anything I would really call a keeper either! I was in AV mode and Continous High, and was shooting between 10am to 2pm. I am using a full wimberly.

Can Anyone suggest any settings that I can try tomorrow? Tomorrow will be my last day to try to get a few shots of these guys. I can usually get within a 100 to 300 ft of them at times when there flying over. Thanks in advance didn't know where else to go last minute :(

Mike K

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kuran View Post
    I'm going to go and take some pictures of some sandhill cranes tomorrow I know this is short notice but we went to day and didn't have much luck! There were about 4000 cranes and it was cloudy and I have a D300 with a 600vr with a 1.4tc, I used ISO's starting at 1250 and got down to 400. I don't have anything I would really call a keeper either! I was in AV mode and Continous High, and was shooting between 10am to 2pm. I am using a full wimberly.

Can Anyone suggest any settings that I can try tomorrow? Tomorrow will be my last day to try to get a few shots of these guys. I can usually get within a 100 to 300 ft of them at times when there flying over. Thanks in advance didn't know where else to go last minute :(

Mike K
    Mind showing sample pictures of what you mean?

Mike Kuran

Thanks Des but at the time I wrote the msg I was still downloading pics and just looking at them in Bridge before heading off to bed. So I will just give it another shot today heading out :) wished I would have had time to put up a pic for yea :(

Mike K

Mike Kuran

Sorry didn't have time to post a pic as I was still downloading them and quickly looking through them. But Were about ready to leave and if I get any thing decent I'll post a picture. Thanks anyway Mike K

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kuran View Post
    and was shooting between 10am to 2pm.
    Mike,

You might try sunrise to 9am and 3pm to sunset. The sun will be lower giving better lighting.

Roger