Canon 30D
    100-400L IS
    ISO 400
    285mm
    f/8
    1/1000s
    tripod
    remote switch

This is from my Costa Rica 2009 trip. All natural BG taken beside the feeder. All C&Cs welcome.

Danny J Brown

Hi Jim - I really like the green on green here and the composition is pleasing as well with the bird coming out of the left corner. I think I see the tip of its tongue coming out of the bill. Who needs a prime lens when you can produce images like this with the 100 - 400 L! Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Jim.

Love this bird and how you got it with a right wing position. Clean BG too, I only wish the eye would be more clear.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect lighting of the bird and superb action shot nicely captured!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice details and wing position, BG is nice too. I feel it is a bit too tight on the left would crop off the right slightly and add to the left.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image with lovely pose , HA & BG , Blurr on wings adds here for me
    TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

excellent Jim, the details and angle, with a great bg make this outstanding.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice wing position and sharp on the face. Wing blur and lack of underwing detail plus uneven BKGR with dark and light splotches does not work for me.

By a remote switch do you mean a cable release?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Nice wing position and sharp on the face. Wing blur and lack of underwing detail plus uneven BKGR with dark and light splotches does not work for me.

By a remote switch do you mean a cable release?

The remote switch is what I plug into the side of the camera to take the place of the shutter button. Canon refers to it as a remote switch but I guess you call it a cable release. Thanks for your critique.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Why would you use a cable release for this type of photography?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks. Why would you use a cable release for this type of photography?
    With the hummingbirds I use a tripod with the cable release and the IS turned off. I thought that my finger depressing the shutter button would result in more vibration than using a cable release. Earlier today I was reading in a forum about different lens holding tecniques and using your body to absorb vibrations. Any direction/input on this is appreciated and thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Jim Crosswell; 12-29-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crosswell View Post
    With the hummingbirds I use a tripod with the cable release and the IS turned off. I thought that my finger depreessing the shutter button would result in more vibration than using a cable release. Earlier today I was reading in a forum about different lens holding techniques and using your body to absorb vibrations. Any direction/input on this is appreciated and thanks for your time.
    Ever since the publication of ABP in 1998 we have been advising that folks not use a cable release for 99.99% of bird photography. Yes, press your face against the back of the camera, get your arms/legs against the tripod, learn the Advanced Sharpness Techniques in ABP II (on CD only), and have the camera and lens be part of you.

You can save $10 by buying ABP soft cover and APB II as a package. Together they are a bible for folks just starting out.