Thread: Osprey - First Light

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey - First Light

Captured this fellow this morning on my way across the Sanibel Bridge. Saw him sitting on a sign frame and pulled off on the causeway to work the image. He had a rather large catfish that he was enjoying for breakfast, and literally let me capture over 200 images from all angles. I got within about 8 feet before he finally let me know he wasn't comfortable, so I backed off and finished my work. He was still there eating when I left. This image is about a 13mp crop, so that tells you how close I was with the 300mm f/4L (using a full frame CMOS sensor, no less). I'm not even close to going through all the images yet, but this was a decent one, so I posted for critique. I can add a bit more room on all sides. I chose to crop above the shoulders, as it looked odd to me with part of them there. MANY good images to choose from in this series, and I love the glow of that first light. Just wish he had been sitting on a natural perch instead of that wooden frame.

Canon 1DsMII, ef 300 f/4L IS, f/8, ISO 100, 1/400, off monopod

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One thing for sure, you got decent eyeball there. Feathers look downey soft. I'd say you made out. Post more if you can.

Maxis Gamez

Hey Bob,

Excellent opportunity. You did well with the exposure but I do wish to see more room all around.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great light, details and exposure control. I particularly like the eye.

Vincent Grafhorst

This is close Bob! Nice detail in lovely light you have captured here. Ospreys are not the most beautiful of raptors are they?

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great portait,l like it a lot,nice sharp eye and great light!