Thread: Sparrow ID Needed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow ID Needed

Attached Images Attached Images

Image was captured in early October on Monhegan Island in Maine.

Thanks for your help!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My thought is a young Chipping Sparrow.

Jim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm probably wrong on these little brown jobs, bill dark on top, striping on back, grey collar, clear breast..
    flash was probably used, could possibly lighten some of the darks on the face?

I think its either an Adult Winter Chipping or Winter Tree Sparrow leaning more towards Tree
    LOLOL..drat I need help with this ID
    Mike this is a lovely photo...thanks
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 12-14-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a young of the year Chipping Sparrow. Image was made on Deer Island, New Brunswick on 6 August 2008. At the time I didn't know the ID of the bird and so I confirmed with a sparrow expert, friend and BPN member Dan Busby. This young chippy does not have the malar stripe of the bird in question (BIQ), and the BIQ lacks the fine streaking on the breast and the dark line through the eye of this bird. I give it more study when I have some time (just home from 6 weeks away) but I think we can eliminate imm. Chipping Sparrow.
    Last edited by John Chardine; 12-14-2009 at 05:12 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm guessing Chipping Sparrow also. Not a juvenile but possibly a first winter - pinkish beak, no streaks on breast, buffier overall than adult, brownish wash to flanks.

Graham Smith.

I'm going to go against the grain and say clay-coloured. I imagine it would be a fairly late occurrence in Maine though. I'm thinking CCSP mostly because of the pale lores on this bird. For a chipping, the eyeline would extend in front of the eye (giving darkened lores), which it does not appear to do here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Smith. View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and say clay-coloured. I imagine it would be a fairly late occurrence in Maine though. I'm thinking CCSP mostly because of the pale lores on this bird. For a chipping, the eyeline would extend in front of the eye (giving darkened lores), which it does not appear to do here.
    As in the image I posted Graham.

Graham Smith.

Exactly John,
    Just taking it a bit further and making the comparison to the clay-coloured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My Sparrow ID skills are lacking to say the best and I had no idea that there would be some ambiguity here or I could have provided some additional information.

This was captured during my trip to Monhegan last fall with Artie. Artie, of course, had no problem with the ID's and tried his best to pass on some ID tips. I learned a lot and made some notes but I still could not positively ID this one. But I do believe that I remember the list of all of the Sparrows that we photographed that week and those would be :
    Chipping Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Song Sparrow, and Savannah Sparrow. So Clay-colored is definitely a possibility.

Can anyone second Clay-colored?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was going to post this before I left work. It's definitely a Clay-colored Sparrow. The pale lores, moderately strong pale median crown stripe, and distinctive light buffy malar all add up to Clay-colored.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very interesting discussion, I have never seen a clay-colored sparrow, good to see the differences compared with chipping sparrow.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all for help with the ID and some great info along the way.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Guys,

This is absolutely a Clay-colored Sparrow. The pale lores and near absent eyeline rule out Chipping Sparrow. Note the extend of the dark lores and eyeline in John's photo.

Dave Brown