Thread: Female Shoveler

Ron Caswell

Default Female Shoveler

At the local bird sanctuary this weekend and was able to capture some Shovelers flying, Thought i would post this one and see if anyone has some comments on improving, crop, color or anything else? Thank you, Ron

Shot with a 5D2 500mmf4 with 1.4 hand held, 1600s 400iso f8

Last edited by Ron Caswell; 12-13-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Reduced image size per rules

Danny J Brown

Hey Ron - This is a very unique shot of a hen shoveler with the angle of attack and the great light. Bokeh looks like an artist canvas and that is helping as well. You really demonstrate here why they call them shovelers. I'm definitely thinking pano as there seems to be some superfluous space at the bottom. Thanks, my friend.

Fabs Forns

Very nice flight image, a little larger than allowed (1024 on the horizontal side).
    Given that the lower part of the image is so painterly, I'd crop some off the top for a stronger composition. Thanks for sharing this one.

Ron Caswell

Thank you for your comments, Fabs, I reduced the size, thanks for the note. Ron

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool. Suggestions:
    1-lighten the shaded side of the face and neck a bit.
    2-smooth out some of the brighter o-o-f trees/branches in the BKGR with a 60% Clone Stamp Tool.
    3- crop as per Fabs' suggestion.

And yes, the lower part of the frame it too good and too creamy.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Ron Caswell

Thank you for the suggestions, I made some edits from the advice given, I don't know if fixing the background I may have went to far?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is pretty cool, Ron--very unusual image. I like the repost better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The re-post is 1000 times better. We need more folks who can follow directions as good as you did!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Danny J Brown

I like the repost Ron - Well done.

Bryan Hix

Very cool angle and I like the re-post. I am surprised she's still up north with the cold we've had. My only little thing that I see on the re-post that you might want to mess with is the darker streak just off the right wingtip that draws my eye there. A little clone stamp with a natural brush would take care of that. Nice job!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loved the repost and the 3D effect acheived here.. congrats..

Ron Caswell

Thank you guys and gals :),
    Art thanks for the help!.
    Bryan: There are over a dozen left in the ponds there, They have one bubble machine working and the shovelers hang in there doing there usual circle group thing they do, Hard part is waiting for them to fly out or in that can take many hours. Ron