Thread: Set, the 2nd image in an eagle picking up a fish (ready set go)

Ben Egbert

Default Set, the 2nd image in an eagle picking up a fish (ready set go)

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the second shot of a 4 shot sequence of a fish pick up taken last Sunday. The high ISO and heavy crop eats detail. Lake Coeur d’Alene Idaho.

1DS-mk3, 500f4+1.4x, at f5.6 1/1000 at ISO1600 Wimberly sidekick.

Comments appreciated. If you think I should not post ISO1600 shots, or that my processing is bad, I would like to hear that. In 5 years, these are the best pick-ups I have been able to get at this lake.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually, I don't think it's bad at all for ISO 1600. It appears that it could stand some additional minor selective sharpening.

As I don't shoot Canon (yet), I have a question since I've always found the MKIII to put out some of the best files I've seen IQ wise.

Was in camera NR at play here or are you able to turn it off during RAW conversion to preserve detail and then do your own NR in post?

Relative to the image itself, while the under wings are blocked in shadow, I doubt there was much you could do for that against dark water. Any more EV would have blown all of the whites I would think.

Ben Egbert

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fenton View Post
    Actually, I don't think it's bad at all for ISO 1600. It appears that it could stand some additional minor selective sharpening.

As I don't shoot Canon (yet), I have a question since I've always found the MKIII to put out some of the best files I've seen IQ wise.

Was in camera NR at play here or are you able to turn it off during RAW conversion to preserve detail and then do your own NR in post?

Relative to the image itself, while the under wings are blocked in shadow, I doubt there was much you could do for that against dark water. Any more EV would have blown all of the whites I would think.

Thanks for your comments. This is the 1DSmkIII, not the 1dmkIII, more of a landscape camera than action. But it is better than my 50D at ISO1600. I shot RAW and none of the camera settings are used at conversion.

I use Neat Image for NR. I process primarly for printing not web. Artie says he does not use NR if exposed right. This shot is as far right as possible. No exposure comp used during conversion. I can make a web version without NR if I forego my normal 3 stage sharpening used for large prints. All I do is downsize and uses some output sharpening and it looks about the same. Not worth the bother to make multiple conversions for so little difference.

Ben Egbert

over 100 views, and one reply. If I should not have posted this, I wish somebody would say it. I can take the criticism.

I have some nice clean eagle flying shots, but they are pretty boring. I will keep trying for better light, and stop posting these high iso shots.