Thread: Which One is Better and Why?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Which One is Better and Why?

Attached Images Attached Images

The first, above?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Or the second one, in this pane?

Both with the 70-200 f/4 L IS and the EOS-1D MIII at 1/15 sec. in Tv mode.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Axel Hildebrandt

I prefer the second one because of the fluid patterns and mood. In the first one I focus on the group in the middle, in the second one I don't feel the need to focus at all. I'm curious what others think about it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I prefer the second one if you cropped out the water flow from the top. It has a nice pattern and color tones.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well I gues we are all different, I prefer the first as I lock onto a point of interest i.e. the center two birds and then take in the general mayhem. The second I find irritating on a visual level as it just looks like chaos to me:).
    Last edited by Jackie Schuknecht; 12-03-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Jackie - I like the first because of the center of interest and the birds looking at you. I think the
    second would be a neat abstract with some funky filters applied:)
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the first as well. I find my eye looking for something and there a few birds in the first one that are you could focus on a bit. I get a little dizzy looking at the second one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hmmm...hard decision, but I think the first one is my favorite. The several sharper birds in it form a point of interest that I find pleasing.
    God Bless
    Christopher, Old Photo Master and Master Texturizer

Old Memories Photography

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the first one better with those few sharp bird in the center.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

first one for the sharp center woodie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First one for me too. I like that I can see several duck heads and faces in the sea of ducks. My eyes key in on a bunch of headless duck bodies in the second.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First one ...the eye stops for a brief moment on the centre of the frame where there is no movement and then takes in the chaos as precise movement . In the second one it still emains chaotic .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here's the funny thing. I initially liked the first one with the one sharp Wood Duck, but over time, I have come to like the second one for the flow; my eye keeps moving with that one. And I do like the water in the u-r-c of the second one. Cropping the top by scrolling destroys the flow....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Artie, That is so funny that you said that you liked the first one initially. I did too, until I started to see the nice cohesive flow to the second one. The only reason I suggested removing the corner was because I found myself staring at it for too long. But I do like the image very much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Denise. I often prefer a strip along the top of an angled sort of frame in the corner (as here) or corners.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I gotta go with number 1, for the reason given above in a few threads...sharp woodie in centre.

Although as I've said before I am outta my league with these images...I just don't get them, I mean I see the how..but still have trouble with the why. :D

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    .I just don't get them, I mean I see the how..but still have trouble with the why.
    Hi Paul, I shall begin by assuming that you are saying politely that you do not like intentionally blurred images. I am fine with that and I do understand that folks have widely different feelings about blurs. My beloved late wife did not like them nor did my last girlfriend who is a great photographer.

Many folks including myself love creating and looking at them. In the slide show that I just did in ABQ, these two images elicited gasps of delight from many when they appeared on the screen. "Blizzard in Blue," my first successful Snow Geese blur, was runner up in Composition and Form in the 1998 BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition.

Lots of folks (like me) enjoy the flow and sense of motion that are part of successful intentional blurs. And many consider them highly artistic.

Here's the bad news: apparently, intentional blurs are not an acquired taste.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would go with #2. Although I would crop to eliminate the one bird that is looking at you in the ULC. The rest are a nice pattern of blur, but this one is not consistent in my view and it is larger than the rest of the similarily "sharp" image areas. If it were sharp, or if it were blurred, it would fit in.

In #1, I personally don't care for the sharp center. There is too big an area of "sharpness" for me.

Just my vision of what is there. I like it, but ...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I take these as 2 different images and cannot say I would like one over the other. It is like if I was asked If I like a portrait better than a landscape. I like the first as it takes my eyes to the focused bird and then I like the second as a very abstract piece of art, just would like a hint more blur in the second.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie...for understanding, I think for so many years I've tried to get sharp images, that intentionally blurring them is foreign to me.
    Having said that I had a look online at "Blizzard in Blue", totally get that, same as Denise's Water Lily...they both work for me artistically...I guess its in the eye of the beholder
    :( Hopefully it will come to me

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i prefer the second one. it doesnt look as contrasty and seems more artful. i find my eye moving around the frame where as in the first one i definitely focus on the center more. artful....is that a word!!?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again all for your kind comments and suggestions.