Thread: Green-veined white on thistle

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green-veined white on thistle

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's one from last summer. This was taken on the transect I count butterflies on as part of a national monitoring program. Green-veined whites (Pieris napi) are very difficult to distinguish from their relative the Small white (Pieris rapae) when they are in flight. The trick I use is photographing them quickly when they sit down for a quick snack, or sometimes in flight. The colored veins on the wing are the easy giveaway to distinguish the two species. Sometimes they sit still long enough for a nice composition like this one. I only keep wishing that we could see more of it's face.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, handheld, 83 mm (500 mm eq.), ISO-100, F/4.2, 1/250 sec, EC -0.7, pattern metering, aperture priority, RAW.
    RAW processing in Silkypix, PP in Corel Photopaint. Minor tweaks on levels and sharpness.

Julie Kenward

Jerry, sure...a complete face would be nice...but - LOVE that the eye is peeking out! If you can't get the whole face this is the next best thing. I really like the stark dark BG with the deep purples and then that beautiful butterfly. I might trim a bit off the right side but only a little - everything else is picture perfect.

So did you create the black BG in pp or was that natural somehow?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jules, thanks for the compliments! This is a completely natural BG. The thistles grow on open grassland, bordered by shady trees and bushes. Those are the BG of this image. Apparently, they are just the right distance away. I often have trouble with creating nice even BG's with this bridge camera, because it has greater DOF than DSLRs. But sometimes, I get lucky :D!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent self-critique, and yes, amazing d-o-f. I love the dark BKGR. EXP and sharpness are right-on.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur, nice to see you are hanging around in the Macro section as well! It seems we get a lot of 'birders' lately who are giving macro a go. I'll have to post some bird pictures soon to return the favor.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome Jerry. Funny thing is that my "macro" lens is almost always the 800 with a TC and some extension tubes!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Danny J Brown

Hey Jerry - I really love this image, especially way the little eye is peeking out between the thistle needles. Nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry. Beautiful image. Love the peek a boo eye, great bg, detail and comp. Lovely light as well.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So nice butterfly and composition. The light is great as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your compliments. I got lucky with the light. It was just after noon on quite a sunny day, but at the time of this photo, the tiniest bit of cloud just filtered the harshness out.