Thread: Epson R1900 b&w printing

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Epson R1900 b&w printing

Anyone out there using the R1900 for b&w printing and willing to share their experiences?

I recently developed problems with my R1900 after 6 months of use... every 5 days something was being printed. My most recent project involved scanning and restoring early 1900 b&w photographs. I would scan the photos and save the images as 16 bit grayscale images, bring them into CS2 for further work and save them as aRGB neutral b&w images. After getting a custom profile made for Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber Silk, I printed the images on the Ilford paper and got excellent results considering b&w printing is not this printer's strong point. They actually had the look of a traditional b&w print.

Then the trouble began. In the middle of a print job an error message appeared and indicated the 1/4 filled cyan cart was not a genuine Epson. After repeated attempts to get it to work I changed it to a new one. The new cart was recognized and the printing continued though the second half of the finished print had a noticeable cyan cast. Up until this point I didn't have any clogging issues. All my nozzle checks indicated that everything was fine.

I did another test on Epson Ultra Premium Glossy using Epson's premium profile and this print also had a cyan cast compared to one made earlier. My prints no longer match my calibrated monitor. Maybe the second cyan cart is also bad, maybe the printer is faulty or possibly the cart that malfunctioned never worked correctly. I have no idea. In any case, Epson is sending a new printer out Monday.

I'm wondering what others are getting for print quality when printing b&w. Do you get a cast or are you getting neutral prints from neutral b&w images? Any info would be appreciated.

Richard

Robert Amoruso

Sorry Richard but can't help you with this one.

I stopped using the R2200 and then the R2800 due to carriage return issues. I now use HP 9180 but not for B&W yet.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard I get great B&W results with my R1900. Have you done a complete clean nozzle cycle? I ask because awhile ago I had a bad cyan cartridge, changed it and it still was giving bad results. I then did a complete nozzle clean, which cleared the whole thing up. I love my R1900.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You may want to post on the Epson Yahoo Group. It's free and a very active group with a lot of great advice.