Thread: Young Plover

Alfred Forns

Default Young Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

Young Piping Plover in the mud !!! With patience easy approachable at a low angle

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 1DMk2n
    500 f4/0 IS 2X
    f 11.0 1/400 sec
    Av 0
    ISO 400

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle, details and BG, detergent companies must love you. :) It is just a bit tight in the frame for my taste, particularly left and bottom but I guess you did this purposely.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-14-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Travis Novitsky

I think the crop is a bit too tight, but I do love the detail that such a close view affords! Nice lighting and exposure, the shallow depth-of-field is superb.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. I wonder how muddy we'll be getting in March? I like the crop just fine, but do see a little halo around the bill.

Alfred Forns

Hi Jim You will be getting in plenty of mud !!!! It is actually refreshing with the heat !!!!!! ..... just let Vern sleep the morning !!!! :)

George DeCamp

Hey Al!

A beautiful well exposed little bugger. I really like the low angle, I can almost small and taste the mud. Nit mentioned but you cropped it that way. Was great spending a couple days with you and Fabs, see you in May!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope you don't mind me piping in ( no pun intended ). I feel when you take a photo of a small bird from this vantage point and frame him as such they look better showing a little more chest.

I haven't figured out how you got this DOF at f 11 with just the focus on the water surrounding your subject. Would you care to share some tips ?
    Last edited by Mike Tracy; 02-14-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet one Alfredo. I can differentiate all the white and black boxes on the calibration strip at the bottom and the whites here look very white to me... How do they look to the rest of you???

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Sweet one Alfredo. I can differentiate all the white and black boxes on the calibration strip at the bottom and the whites here look very white to me... How do they look to the rest of you???

later and love, artie
    The whites look relatively bright, but not too much on my monitor.

Alfred Forns

Him Mike Having the bird just about parallel to the plane makes it look that way At such short distances there isn't much One of the reasons we like to nail the head angle Since we focus on the eye the tip of the bill will also be in focus

Artie I made the lightness/darkness to taste My monitor and strip are perfect perhaps I should have gone darker Lately for some reason I have been going lighter Not sure why? Can't wait to get some of those little guys in a few weeks :)

Fabs Forns

Neat little critter, not sure oh what it is, but a Plover for sure :)

Len Maltese

I like it Al. Nice image of this youngster.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post

later and love, artie

They look a little bright to me, but I measured them and the hottest spot I could find was 246 in one channel (Red).

Isak Pretorius

Sweet sweet image! Very nicely done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic angle and great job on the whites :)

Terry Olmsted

Hi Al, I am glad to see you appreciate shore birds and enjoy the mud! :) Great job on this image.