Thread: Hooptie Duex Strikes Pink!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hooptie Duex Strikes Pink!

Attached Images Attached Images

Created this image this morning on the maiden voyage of James Shadle's new pontoon boat, Hooptie Deux. The spoonies are getting prettier each week. The next month will be rocking. Short-notice reservations are fine.

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens wtih the 2X II TC and the EOS-1D MIII on the old Wimberely head atop a Gitzo CF 3530 LSV tripod equipped with a set of Tripod Condoms. ISO 500. Evaluative metering -2/3 stops: 1/1250 sec. at f/11.

Added a sliver of canvas in front of the bird otherwise pretty much as was out of the camera...

Don't be shy. All comments welcome. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hope I get to see some of these in March! It looks like the pink color is just running down from the shoulders.

I can't think of a way to improve it, so I'll ask a question instead.

What's up with the top of the "spoon" part of the bill not having the same pattern as the rest. Does it get worn, or change seasonally or some such?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As the birds get juiced up hormonally, some of them get the indigo ink markings on the bill, some don't. This bird has a pretty nice bill, but some of them become mega... Later and love, artie

ps: I like it too!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Blake Shadle

Hey, Artie! The colors look outstanding, and the detail in the eye is great. His posture looks a little unusual, was he leaning forward? What did you think of the Hooptie Duex? Pretty sweet?

David Hemmings

The colors and details are outstanding on this beautiful spoonie. I am not sure how I feel about the composition. I prefer to see all of the bird, but this way the image emphasizes the neck and face/eye. All a matter of taste, either way it is a sweet image:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with the above. I would like to see more room for the feet. I could go either way as for the cut off tail. I prefer the whole bird. But it is yours, not mine. As for details, this rocks. Excellent color to by the way. Post all you can of these.

Richard Kowalski

Artie, a question about your thought process?

Why did you choose a vertical format instead of a horizontal? Was this because of the 1000mm focal length or was there some other factor in your decision to cut off the bird's tail?

Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Weed View Post
    I have to agree with the above. I would like to see more room for the feet. I could go either way as for the cut off tail. I prefer the whole bird. But it is yours, not mine. As for details, this rocks. Excellent color to by the way. Post all you can of these.
    "Why did you choose a vertical format instead of a horizontal? Was this because of the 1000mm focal length or was there some other factor in your decision to cut off the bird's tail?"

Artie,
    That is an awesome February Spoonie.
    The light could not be better.

Grady, IMO this is what I call a bust or 3/4 portrait.

Richard, IMO this is the only composition that would present a beautiful portrait of this Spoonbill without distracting background elements.

I was there, this image was taken on an Oyster Bar!

Great use of DOF and composition to create a portrait like this.

The water at the bottom is a sweet bonus.

The image looks a tad over sharpened for my taste.

Captain Darth Shadle

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most of the birds were very close to the mangroves. Even in early morning light, mangrove roots, many covered with shells of some sort, are U-G-L-Y. So with this image in mind, I approached slowly and slowly. Everyone else stayed well back in order to try for some flight images. My goal was to get close enough to be able to point the lens a bit down at the birds and eliminate the ugly background. Once I got close, the bird was too large in the frame for a horizontal. I sort of pioneered this compostion in :The Art of Bird Photography." I called it the vertical front-end compostion and advised: "Give an inch behind the legs." I works especially well here as all of the carmine-red scapulars are included.

If I included the whole bird as some above suggested the viewer would be deprived of the amazing feather and bill detail, especially the saffron yellow at the bend of the wing and the incredible India ink markings on the bill. I am fine with those who do not like this COMP. I on the other hand, love it; it is one of my very favorites.

Another of my "Rules for Art" is to "cut not clip." That is why I "cut" the legs where I did, just below the ankle joint--yes, the ankle.

Lastly, this bird is not in full breeding plumage. In two weeks many will have bright lime green heads and more saffron yellow feathers on the breast.

Later and love, artie

ps: I just looked at Grady's avatar puffin image and had a good chuckle...

Fabs Forns

Wish I could have been there with you guys! Good looking bird. I love black backgrounds for the Spoon, sort of dramatic!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Art, your full explanation for the choice of comp is much clearer to me now, especially after a full nights sleep. You cropped, not cut, the feet at the ankle joint, something I did not fully appreciate till you said that, is rather cool. As I said above, the choice of comp in not showing the tail is OK with me. Had you been closer the colors and details of what you wanted to show would not be there. Since I have not been pleasured to see these as close as you have, something I will remedy next time with James, I do not have your insight as to the best way to photograph them.

I am by nature, a lover of the environment. The animal creation we are privileged to see and photograph is under great pressure from all fronts. And I cant wait for each new day to see it, photograph it and educate others on how it should be more protected.Your photos tell me you feel much the same way. I hope that others will take the same view someday.

Check your e-mail later from me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Grady Weed; 02-15-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Spell check. Thanks Blake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grady, Thanks for your post above. I did not receive your e-mail but thanks for sending it.

One clarification: the image is actually frame plus a bit more in front of the bird so I did not crop at the ankle joint, I framed the image to purposely cut the leg below the ankle joint. If I had cut the ankle joint in half, that would have been a compostional error. Better to cut the leg in half than to clip the toes.

later and love,

artie

Isak Pretorius

Wow, just love this one! These spoonbills are incredibly beautiful. Everything perfect in this photo, just as you've taught us!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,

I figured you were after something like this when you moved in close. This wonderful image makes up for all those shots I got of your backside as I was photographing the incoming Spoonies. (just kidding - I knew you were there, so I just bumped the focus around you) In addition to the praises above, I really like the effect of the light reflected off the water.

Thanks again for the use of your 1Ds3. My 1d3 died and is still dead. I will be sending it in tomorrow.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Great image Artie with outstanding detail ,color and lighting. I have learned a great deal from this image and how you dhose to frame it etc etc. Thanks fo much for taking the time to explain your thought process. It has been most helpful and informative,

Again many thanks
    Judy