Thread: Panoramic Images -- A Stitch In Time

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Panoramic Images -- A Stitch In Time

To produce panoramic images, multiple exposures must sometimes be "stitched" together using computer software. For best results, the multiple exposures should be carefully produced, on a horizontal plane with controlled overlaps. There are a variety of proposed methods for obtaining the desired results, which often involve fairly sophisticated and expensive equipment.

Here, I'm proposing a very inexpensive solution to this problem.

I ordered a $3 camera double-bubble camera hot shoe level on eBay. I also ordered a $4.95 Interfit STR116 hot shoe adapter from B & H Photo that will attach to the stud on a tripod. Here is my plan:

(1) I attach the hot shoe adapter to the tripod, mount the bubble level to the hot shoe adapter, and adjust the legs of the tripod to make the tripod perfectly level.

(2) I remove the hot shoe adapter/bubble level from the tripod, attach my ball head and camera to the tripod, connect the bubble level to the camera hot shoe and level the camera.

I think that if I pan a panoramic vista that I want to photograph and incorporate into a panoramic image, and make multiple overlapping exposures with my camera that I can take home to stitch together on my computer to make the ultimate image I want, I will be successful!

Is there any flaw in my thinking?

Norm Dulak

Alfred Forns

Hi Norm Sounds like a plan !!! Some tripods have a built in level which makes is easier !!

When making images consider turning the camera vertical for lots of space top and bottom ... I know you are leveling things but safety is always good !!!

We did some ten image across and each was a three image HDR !!! 30 images total !! I think Fabs has it posted in landscape !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Al for your comments!

I never thought about turning the camera vertically, but it makes good sense!

And I'll look at what you and Fabs have done.

Norm Dulak

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Norm, Alfred,

I do not use vertical mode most of the time. If you are doing a single row pan then vertical is the way to go, but if a multi-row panorama, then the bottom row is usually imaging close in details and in higher rows the subjects are further away. Leaving the camera horizontal limits the near to far depth of field, and then if you let th focus move from frame to frame, you end up with greater depth of field, which is especially good for grand landscapes.

BPN example done this way:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=49137

My article on this subject:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/large_mosaics

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Clark; 11-10-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rnclark View Post
    Norm, Alfred,

I do not use vertical mode most of the time. If you are doing a single row pan then vertical is the way to go, but if a multi-row panorama, then the bottom row is usually imaging close in details and in higher rows the subjects are further away. Leaving the camera horizontal limits the near to far depth of field, and then if you let th focus move from frame to frame, you end up with greater depth of field, which is especially good for grand landscapes.

BPN example done this way:
    http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=49137

My article on this subject:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/large_mosaics

Roger
    I've never done a multi-row panorama, and I've heard that they can be difficult to stitch together properly. Still, if I try that kind of a panorama, I'll keep this suggestion in mind.

Norm Dulak

Elmar Venter

This is my first attempt at stitching:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=49311

I used a Manfrotto 338 levelling base to level the tripod and also used vertical format. Using an elbow bracket works well for vertical format.
    Last edited by Elmar Venter; 11-11-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Alfred Forns

Good pano Elmar ... they can be addictive !!!