Thread: Great White Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great White Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys,

Had a business appointment in Amsterdam today and decided to make a detour and visit nature reserve the Oostvaarders Plassen for about an hour or so to see if i could get some nice shots of birds despite of the grey weather.
    Had a blast with this lovely Great White Heron who was fouraging in front of the hide!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Canon Eos 1D Mark3
    Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
    Aperture: F 11
    Exposure mode: AV
    Exposure compensation: +1/3
    Flash:no
    Flash exposure compensation: -
    Metering mode: Evaluative
    Drive mode: AI Focus
    ISO: 640
    Lens: Canon 600mm F4
    Focal length:600 mm
    AF mode: Auto Focus
    On beanbag from hide
    Levels/Curves/USM/Contrast/Saturation/Noise Ninja/Lab-Sharpening

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great soft light,timing and nice reflection!!!

Jeff Nadler

I love th bird but feel the reflection is too obscure to be effective and would prefer the bird in a lower third position within the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it and am fine with the reflection though I would not mind a tighter version. Is this a white morph Grey Heron???

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Peregrine Craig Nash

I like this jeroen. Its a Great White Egret (Egretta Alba)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments so far!
    We call this species Great White Heron over here and the Latin name is Casmerodius albus albus. There has been some discussion as in some countries this is called Egretta Alba but recent discoveries show that this species is more related to the "Ardea" family then to the "Egretta" family. Therefor i would go for the Great White Heron description instead of the Great White Egret discription. I think the American relative of this species is Ardea alba. But if i do a search on Google myself....i think they are all the same family....

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jeroen,

Over here we have Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) which greatly resembles your Grey Heron. Our Great Blue has a white morph the somewhat resemebles the bird in this post, esp. the thick light yellow upper legs. Our Great White Heron (the common name for the white morph or Ardea herodias) has a thick heavy bill. Hard to tell about bill thickness in your image with bill open. Below is an image of the bird I am referring to.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your explenation on the American species you have over there!
    I did not know there was a white morph of the Great Blue Heron...very interesting!

I think my post is more likely what you guys would call a Great White Egret as the bill is more slender, and the green colour in front of it's eyes is different from that of the white morph Great Blue. Also the long feathers on the back are more like that of the Great White Egret then that of the white morph Great Blue.

It's very interesting to see how some of these species relate across borders!

Thanks again Arthur!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Peregrine Craig Nash

Jeroen I think we are talking the same bird have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Egret

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the Wikipedia link Peregrine!
    That made things a whole lot clearer!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel