Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scoop! Canon 1D Mark IV is Offical

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great post Rich. At least to me, nature photography is about patience and peaceful coexistence with your subject. The best work comes from those who take time to understand and engage the subject. It's not analogous to hunting. Just my amateur opinion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay,

re:

On the other hand, since I love to stir the porridge (an Aussie expression!), speaking for those that are quite serious about learning to become good photographers and graduating from the clueless category, the purchase of expensive equipment assuming it is affordable within one's circumstances isn't done by serious new amateurs so that they can flash the "latest and greatest". It is done because of the desire to to use all of the best tools possible to advance the learning curve as quickly as possible.

Obviously you are either not reading or understanding what I wrote. Yes, there are some well off folks who purchase the best tools and work hard at improving. My beef is with the many who buy the gear and make zero effort to do the work.

Once upon a time in a far off land a famous photographer said that the 50D was the best birding body he had ever used;

That is not an exact quote. Please do prove me wrong by proving a link to those words. I do not appreciate being paraphrased when the meaning of my statements is changed.

that same photographer skipped the 7D and opined regarding the 1D4 that:

To me the AF seemed far superior against all BKGRs. Final (and honest) answer

I was comparing the MIV to the MIII so your comment about my skipping the 7D makes no sense at l.

Given the discussions thus far regarding the 50D, 1DIII, and now the 7D, I read the Guru's opinion to be that the 1D4 is probably the best tool for the job.

As I stated clearly that is my honest opinion after using the camera for a limited amount of time. I do not get free Canon gear and I immediately plunked down about 9K out of my own pocket to order two MIVs.

Having the 1D4 will not make you a better photographer; hopefully, having the 1D4 AF system and working hard to become a better photographer will asssit in obtaining a better tack sharp keeper rate.

Sure hope so.

At the end of the day we all agree that it is up to the individual; cameras do not take photos - people do.

Thanks for that revelation.

As I have taken the time to respond to your mostly off-base comments I would appreciate a link to the quote you ascribed to me above so that I can apologize to you if need be (or accept your apology for misquoting me.)

Respectfully.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McCullough View Post
    Great post Rich. At least to me, nature photography is about patience and peaceful coexistence with your subject. The best work comes from those who take time to understand and engage the subject. It's not analogous to hunting. Just my amateur opinion.
    Agree in part but both photographers and hunters need to use skill of some sort to get close to their subjects.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post

Once upon a time in a far off land a famous photographer said that the 50D was the best birding body he had ever used;

Artie,
    I think Jay was referring to your statement "Though I have stated clearly that the 50D tracks birds in flight more accurately than any Canon camera that I have ever used, we get lots of e-mails from disbelievers." from this blog post http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2009/...-through-wood/

It looks like a mis-rememberence of what was said. Thanks for all of your input.
    Dug

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dug Threewitt View Post
    Artie,
    I think Jay was referring to your statement "Though I have stated clearly that the 50D tracks birds in flight more accurately than any Canon camera that I have ever used, we get lots of e-mails from disbelievers." from this blog post http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2009/...-through-wood/ It looks like a mis-rememberence of what was said. Thanks for all of your input. Dug
    YAW. What I said and what he said I said have totally different meanings.

I stand by what I said at the time about the 50D. I had never used a 7D when I said that and the MIV was only a distant rumor.

Folks need to be impeccably careful about what they say on-line as the whole world is watching.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed. I do think that the good photographer is often more concerned with their subject's pose than the hunter and this tends to require not only getting close but staying close until you see what you want. Photographers like yourself create such fascinating images because of your ability to patiently work the subject (in addition to technical perfection). Rich's post brought to mind photographers who charge in when you are hunkered down with a bird and proceed to fire off several frames as the bird moves away. This approach might work better with a gun than a camera.
    Last edited by Andrew McCullough; 10-22-2009 at 09:34 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some images from a 1d4 on display at Photo Plus Expo http://www.flickr.com/photos/slvrsco...7622649772276/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pao, The link above does not work. Please repost the correct link.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Pao, The link above does not work. Please repost the correct link.
    It is seems to he working now (windows machine)
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's working here now too. Not sure what you are supposed to learn from those images...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12