Thread: A study in black and yellow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A study in black and yellow

Attached Images Attached Images

Black-spot Flower Crabspider and prey. This is the biggest crabspider I've found to date. It is amazing how well these spiders blend in with the flowers they sit on.
    Canon 5D Mark11; MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
    apert f16; ss1/125; iso 200
    crop, shrp, nr, levels, slight desaturation of yellows (not that it helps much, you almost need sunglasses to view this :))

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vida, you've got a good eye for finding these spiders! As you say, this one is especially impressive and yellow. Again, wonderful detail and awesom DOF. I do find the slightly tilted angle you got on the spider a bit distracting, but nonetheless a great image.
    - Jerry -

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vida. Outstanding sharpness and I love those colors. It's pretty easy to see why the prey items don't see the spider until it's too late. If this was mine, the only tweak I would make would be to add a bit to the bottom so the yellow petal doesn't touch the frame edge - a minor point. Very well done.
    Last edited by Steve Maxson; 09-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Julie Kenward

Perfect saturation on the yellows, Vida and wow...what an array of yellows there are! It really adds interest to the image overall that there are so many different tonalities and hues going on.

As always, your focal point is razor sharp and everything in the image works well together.

One question for you...did you decide to go with a black BG on purpose or is this just how the image turned out? I'm curious to know what you were thinking as you made this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! What a super job. I was so engrossed with looking at all the details of the fly, I did not notice the spider, and then it took me awhile for all of that to sink in. Love the contrast of the fly and flower/spider. Very well focussed. Good job. Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very well done here , nice compo , great yellows and sharpness
    TFS

Mike Moats

Hey Vida, a spectacular image, great details and the yellow really makes it ll pop, only wish it had a natural BG rather then the black.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all very much for your comments. Steve, I agree with you on the petal touching the bottom. Julie and Mike, the black was not on purpose. I don't like an unnatural bg but sometimes it is unavoidable. I could have tried to pull a leaf closer but was worried that it will disturb the spider to the extent that she will drop her catch.:)

Ed Vatza

Excellent color and detail. The yellows are handled perfectly to my eye. And the black background really doesn't bother me at all but then I tend to like black backgrounds! :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Vida, amazing camoflauge from the crabspider, and just love those multiple eyes. The left legs of the spider look quite eerie, and quite ghostly. Tightness covered, and overall well captured.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think all has been said about this lovely image. It took me a few seconds to see the yellow spider. Never knew they came in this fabulous color. Well done!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Anita. I was fortunate to spot it as they are so well camouflaged. I'm glad you like it.:)