Thread: Petal Power

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

Default Petal Power

I cropped this image to show the repeating patterns of the petals. I would appreciate any feedback you could offer on this image. Details: It was captured with the Canon EOS 40D and a Tamron 90mm macro lens, mirror lock-up, cable release and tripod.

David Steele

Unusual to see a flower - and a rose at that - reproduced in B&W and it works very well.

Robert Amoruso

Gary,

I think the B&W treatment works exceptionally well here. Overall, I feel it is a bit too dark but I am not sure if I would like a lighter version more. I agree that a close crop works better to remove extraneous surrounding distractions. Well done.

Mike Moats

Hey Jake, very nice B&W, works well with this image. I agree on a tighter crop to eliminate the gaps in the corners. I like the soft light.

Robert O'Toole

I like the idea and this image. The contrast if a little low for best effect. I usually try 10-15 conversions when I do B&W. Some methods really make an improvement. Which method did you use?

Robert

Gary "Jake" Jacobson

I converted this image in Canon Digital Photo Professional because I like the digital filters they offer for black and white. Cropping and contrast were adjusted in Photoshop.