Thread: Great Spotted Woodpeckers in flight

Jacqui Hendry

Default Great Spotted Woodpeckers in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

This week I decided that I would practice taking photographs of birds in flight as it is something which I havent had much practice with.

I was really pleased to get a picture of two birds in the same photograph each with their wings open....

I know that this is not a very good example but I wanted to share it with you all the same :-)

Taken flying over my garden with a 1DmkIII, 300f4 + 1.4, @f8, ISO1000, 1/2000, handheld

I hope to get some more pictures tomorrow :)

Alfred Forns

Hi Jacqui you did try to get birds in flight in a big way !!! Two woodpeckers in flight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are small in frame but you got them sharp, two good wing positions and excellent exposure ..... would try for a bigger bird next time :)

btw if there is a secret to flight photography is wind !!!! You need wind at your back (sun at your back) and will be a recipe for success Birds tend to fly into the wind !!!

Judd Patterson

One woodpecker in flight is hard enough, two is almost unprecedented! Nice work, and a great pose by each woodpecker, even if it is hard to see details due to their small size. Maybe with time you will be able to get a closer image of at least one of these beauties? Good luck Jacqui!

Jacqui Hendry

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement,
    Today I hope to get a closer photograph of one (or maybe even 2) :D

Oh and thank you Alfred for the tip I will remember that about the wind and the sun :)

This is one that I took on Wednesday but still too far away :(

Jacqui
    Last edited by Jacqui Hendry; 02-08-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: forgot to add a photograph

Nonda Surratt

Maybe too far away but still an impressive image, neat looking bird too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi JH, In the first one there is a big blue cast in the underwings (because they are in shadow). The second one is pretty cool.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.