Thread: Coot chase

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coot chase

Attached Images Attached Images

Seems like coots are the only birds I am getting interesting pictures of these days...

I am not happy with the BG on this (too much green?), but have been unsuccessful in finding an adjustment that improves it notably. Any suggestions?

Canon 50D 100-400mm @ 340mm
    f5.6 1/1000 ISO500

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i dont mind the bg at all. i might try to lighten the faces/eyes on each of the birds. another nice interaction image! i like the compo a lot!

Ron Boisvert

Hi Gordon,

If you want to modify or tone down the green you could select it with Select-Color Range-copy to a layer, and then use Selective Color to work on the yellow. I'm not sure what you would consider an improvement, though. If it were my shot, I would look to improve the detail on the heads and around the eyes. Also, I believe the right side of your histogram is too far to the left.

I can really sense the action with all the water flying all over the place. I think coots are a hoot! Ugh, sorry about that folks, couldn't resist...

Keep them coming!

Alfred Forns

Agree with solid comments and can add I would like more room Birds feel tight in frame, they are motoring fast and need some room !!!! Great action !!!

Lance Peters

Hi Gordon - love the action - on my screen looks a tad under exposed - or you were shooting in mixed light.
    Would lighten the head and try to lighten the eyes and add a touch of sharpening - Agree with AL does feel a little tight some more room up front would help.
    Keep them coming :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, all. Okay, sounds like it was only me who had an issue with BG, so I have reassessed my opinion!

For 2nd attempt, I have added more space in front, sharpened & lightened heads, & lightened whole image slightly

I'm definitely learning a lot since joining BPN - thanks for all the help

Ron Boisvert

The repost is much better, Gordon. Nice work!

Gus Cobos

Hi Gordon,
    Very nice capture...agree with the techs...would also like to see more room all the way around, it's a tad tight in frame...looking forward to your next one...:cool: