Thread: Galapagos/What is it?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Galapagos/What is it?

Attached Images Attached Images

This pattern was photographed with the Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens (handheld at 150mm) and the ESO-50D. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/200 sec. a f/8.

What is it? Do you like it? Why or why not?

Don't be shy; all comments are welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Arthur, It looks like feathers and I love the colors and the flow. Has an abstract look that I really like!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree that it looks like feathers, perhaps flamingo? I like how the feathers all go in the same general direction but also show variety in how some curve more than others. Nice colors too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A blur footed booby? Love the comp and colours and especially the shades of purples and pinks. Did you put it through some filters?

Fabs Forns

Feathers, Difference blending mode?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Since everyone else said feathers, I'm going to say leaves. :D
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Rod Wiley

Looks like pelican feathers?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It could be Great Frigate bird feathers.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too will join the ranks and say feathers. I thought it might be leaves also until I noticed how the small "feathers"? on the upper left were shaped. The image works well for me with the soft coloration and the patterns formed. The curved area in the upper half breaks the flow and adds interest. Nice one Art...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I would go with the feathers, but of what ???? :confused:

I also think that flipping it, though this is not "flip week", :D would make a better composition. I tried a number of flips and the attached are two alternatives, with some contrast added, with the original (small image). Personally, I like the bottom one the best, which is a flip and rotate of the original. Reminds me of a regatta with colorful sails. Fits this weeks summer theme! ;)

I would also delete the "clips" in the left upper and lower corner.

But you're the artist and it's your image. Just a second viewpoint. ;)
    Last edited by Mark Fuge; 07-25-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all for your comments. And thanks mark for the flip flops.

The image is of the feathers on the upper back of a female Great Frigatebird as it sat on its nest at Darwin Bay, Tower Island.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Ákos Lumnitzer

Great colors Artie. Looks great!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Oshkosh, I should have mentioned this: while we were on the island I showed the image on the back of the camera to a bunch of folks in my group who were walking right past these birds nesting. Nobody had a clue.... Can one learn to see creatively???

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Art, I believe one can learn to see creatively after seeing numerous examples like the one you posted. After that it's up to the maker to train their eyes to pull images out of a larger mass. Macro photography is a good example. After I'm shooting birds or landscapes over a period of time and then go to macro I need a short period of time to refocus my thoughts on how I'm approaching the subject matter. I start seeing small.
    I also realize the difficulty when one is concentrating on shooting birds to shift gears and look at feather patterns. This can come with time and experience.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Dave. I wrote extensively on developing ones creative vision in the chapter on Advanced Composition and Image Design in ABP II. At times folks are hampered because they do not realize the capabilities of their lenses....

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hey Artie

I started my photographic journey with underwater macro. I love FINE detail, perhaps why I have such affinity for portraits of birds. I say if one can approach a bird subject - or any other that would run for that matter - then exploit all opportunities to the fullest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie - I love the image and your treatment ot it. One of my favorite quotes is from "The Little Prince" - "it is only
    with the heart that one can see rightly" - I think it applies here:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Slechta View Post
    Artie - I love the image and your treatment ot it. One of my favorite quotes is from "The Little Prince" - "it is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - I think it applies here:) Cheryl
    Thanks Cheryl. That is very sweet. I would like to meet the Little Prince one day :) :D :)

Dave Phillips

nice nice image sir....the hues are subtle and well harmonizing.

Taking it waaaaaay OTB.....:D
    Getting some bleed on that MkIII?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave - you are soooooo funny:D

_______
    Cheryl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice on DP. Looks as if it would make a great jigsaw puzzle for the psych ward...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the original as posted, reminds me of a pastel painting. This would look great as a giclee print!