Thread: Piling City at Sunset

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Piling City at Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

The graphic patterns of the pilings of this big pier out in San Diego caught my eye at sunset.

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/125 sec. at f/16. Gitzo 3530 LSV CF tripod and Mongoose M3.5.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Terry Olmsted

You could hang a print of this at my place anytime, Artie. Great eye!
    Terry

Rich Ikerd

I really like how the piers give a strong graphical element to a beautiful sunset. I'm certain you purposefully famed this with the sun behind the center image, but I keep trying to imagine what it would look like with the sun centered between two of the pilings.

Kenn Christensen

nicely composed.. I really like how it seems to have a "roof".. like its some kind of ancient temple of the sun.... very kewl

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

I think placing the sun between the pilings would unbalance the image though I would be interested in seeing the two together. I put a rule of thirds grid on the image below to show how it fits into that standard. I like how Artie did this careful composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well composed and unique image Artie. I love it......

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ikerd View Post
    I really like how the piers give a strong graphical element to a beautiful sunset. I'm certain you purposefully famed this with the sun behind the center image, but I keep trying to imagine what it would look like with the sun centered between two of the pilings.
    I wanted to avoid a hot spot and in addition, with only the 500, I wanted to use the cloud formations extreme left and extreme right to frame and balance the image...

later and love,

artie

ps to RAM: you gotta teach us how to do those lines...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

john crookes

isn't that a Pied Billed Grebe lifting off in between the right pillings

Love It

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this as is, but also wonder what it would look like at a more oblique angle with the pylons receding into the frame.

Whether or not such an angle would be possible to get to all while keeping the sunset is a whole different question.

Robert Amoruso

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I wanted to avoid a hot spot and in addition, with only the 500, I wanted to use the cloud formations extreme left and extreme right to frame and balance the image...

later and love,

artie

ps to RAM: you gotta teach us how to do those lines...
    Artie,

I will put something together. I use a free action that I downloaded from ATNCentral. I will have to include the link to get it. I will post in the Digital Workflow Forum in the next day or so. I have been thinking of doing that anyway.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by john crookes View Post
    isn't that a Pied Billed Grebe lifting off in between the right pillings

Love It

If there is a grebe in this image I need my eyes examined and probably my head too!

Thanks to all who commented. And later and love, artie

Gayle Clement

Great strong image, Artie. I love the composition exactly like it is.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    Did you focus on the pilings or on the water? I imagine it was the center piling. I realize you also stopped down to f/16 for some DOF, but with a 500 that still only gets you so far.

And Robert, if we can make that action use a color other than purple for the outside edge--no color, ideally--I'd be all for it ;)