Thread: Sun Dragon

Mike Fuhr

Default Sun Dragon

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this pic a few weeks ago while in South Carolina. It was actually in the shade with a bright background (sun lit leaves and pine needles) so I utilized fill flash, something I rarely do -- I usually don't like the result. They, to me., often look unnatural. In any case, I really like the result here, the way the colors popped. One thing I don't like is the perch as it is a bit over-exposed. Anyway, comments welcome...

Nikon D300
    100-300 F/4
    1/250
    F/9
    ISO 800
    fill flash
    on tripod
    minor crop and sharpening added

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike:

Your dragon is great, with lovely colors in eyes and abdomen.

I agree about the perch being a bit hot, and for me, I would really try to tone down the bright spots in the background a bit, so they don't compete with the subject.

Fill flash can be a life saver when used thoughtfully.

Cheers

Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike. Randy covered my thoughts perfectly. :)

Fabs Forns

Agree that toning the highlight could do wonders for an already pretty image :)

Julie Kenward

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, this is really beautiful! I share your sentiment for fill flash but sometimes it really does the trick. I balanced out the light and dark spots in the image using the eye dropper to grab a medium brown tone in the BG and then using a soft brush at 65% opacity to smooth over the lighter spots. I then switched over to the clone stamp set at "lighten" and 30% opacity, put the source in the lighter areas and cloned over the darker spots. I also toned down the perch just a bit. Lastly, I changed your comp just a bit, taking a little off the bottom and right side and twisting the frame so the tail shoots up towards the right top corner of the frame. See if you like this...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Other than as mentioned, I think this could also work in a vertical crop. Perhaps some sharpening, too?

Mike Fuhr

Jules -- that looks great!!! I wish I had the PS skills to do that kind of stuff. Thanks for taking the time to work on it like that. I really appreciate it. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Julie's RP is #1 in my books!!
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.