Thread: Morning Show!

Ramesh Adkoli

Default Morning Show!

True to its name, this flower blooms in the morning and by noon, shuts its shop!

I would have loved the BG to be more washed out. But this flower blooms close to the ground and is surrouned by leaves;-( Appreciate your views.

EXIF: Nikon D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/90s, f/16, ISO 200, manual, hand held, Auto WB

regards,
    ramesh

Julie Kenward

Ramesh, I think the strongest thing about this image is the composition. I really like that you have the flower in the ROT's position and think you have just the right amount of "negative space."

I also feel the image is underexposed. You've got quite a bit of black area in the image and, despite a levels adjustment, I found it was still really prominent. Fill flash or even a positive exposure adjustment would probably have helped in this case to give the image a more evenly exposed BG.

Also, you chose f16 as your aperture and I actually like the result - you have some detail in the surrounding environment of the plant which is really nicely done. However, you suggested you would have liked a softer BG and using an f/stop of half that amount (f8 for instance) would probably still have given you a nicely focused flower and really cut the detail in the BG - just something to remember for next time!

Ramesh Adkoli

Thanks again Julie for your detailed input on this image. It definitely helps in my learning process.

Yes, the image is a bit underexposed. I had opened up the exposure quite a bit in the initial processing. The black spots among the leaves are because of the shadow of leaves onto the ground and are detailless. I could not do much about that. I reprocessed the image and used the fill light feature of ACR to open up the BG a bit. I am reposting it here. I feel this has an edge over the earlier post. Let me know what you think.

regards,
    ramesh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neatly composed image as Jules already mentioned.
    Liked the texture on the petals.

Julie Kenward

Ramesh, this is better - it evens out the depth of the dark tones a bit more. I still think you could get even more out of the flower, though...maybe push the highlight slider in levels to about 245...

Ramesh Adkoli

Thanks, Kaushik.

Julie, glad you found the new post better. a stupid question: are you referring to the white triangle in the levels? If so, that is at 214! There were no pixels beyond that point.

regards,
    ramesh
    Last edited by Ramesh Adkoli; 07-14-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Julie Kenward

Attached Images Attached Images

Ramesh, when I open the image up I see the white slider at 255 and the middle gray slider at 100. I moved them both in to get a lighter/brighter image - taking the white (highlight) slider to 236 and the middle gray slider to 1.39.

Ramesh Adkoli

Julie, I agree. If you open the jpeg image and alt-click the white slider, you would see some pixels at 255. I had left it at that when I worked on the RAW converted image after pulling the white slider to 214. If i make the above adjustments on the jpeg image, i get the same lighter/brighter image. isn't it too bright?

regards,
    ramesh

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pride of Barbados

Attached Images Attached Images

Getting Dark, packing up from shooting birds at a new feeding station in my yard. Was going to try to shoot this flower with macro lens, but decided what the heck, a 500 will fill the frame.

D300, Nikon 500 f/4

1/40, f/4, ISO 800 Ev -.3

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I prefer the second post of the image. Beautiful composition and detail in the flower. I don't have more to add that Jules hasn't said.