Thread: In response to Bob

Rod Wiley

Default In response to Bob

Attached Images Attached Images

In response to Bobs post about backgrounds at Corkscrew I must agree. When the bunting is down low your just out of luck. We have visitors at Corkscrew that only have one day to capture a Painted Bunting and sometimes their lucky and sometimes their not. Its really bad when you finally get the perfect photo, and the worlds worst background. I teach a class in Photoshop at Corkscrew and one of the subjects I teach is scene capture. Scene capture photography takes into account the whole scene. Those of you that have been to Corkscrew have noticed that to the left of the feeder is a nice growth of Swamp Asters, the light hitting the Asters is the same as on the Bunting. In this photo I kind of knew where the bunting would land and the light that would hit him. I also know that the light on the Asters would be the same. When I finished photographing the Bunting I already know what I needed next and while the light was the same I got off a few shots of the Aster to make this finished work. Scene capture only takes into account the actual scene and not elements from out side the area so that the bird and his environment are in tact. The bunting often lands in this very spot but its nearly impossible to catch him there although I have several shots of him there but the light wasn't as good. Nearly all of my work is right out of the box but sometimes you just want to create something nice to hang on the wall. We're going to have a dry down at Corkscrew and the North and South Lake will for a few days look like something out of a National Geographic special, the only problem will be backgrounds. I teach people if you what to get a good photo pick a good background first and then photograph the animal. Sorry to be so lengthy and I hope this photos is in the right forum. And Bob you really did a nice job on your Bunting and it's always a pleasure shooting with you. Rod

www.rjwileyphoto.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rod,

I am a big fan of your work. Great to see you here.

Gayle Clement

A beautiful capture of my favorite bird. The background is busy and I wish that shadow weren't there but I love the touch of flowers.

Rich Ikerd

Really nice image Rod. I like the inclusion of the Asters as well.

Rod Wiley

This photo isn't so much a bunting photo as it is the bunting and the world here at Corkscrew Swamp that he lives in.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rod,

I remember you showing me this the last time we were down there at the feeders. I love seeing it again! Very nice feel. I know exactly what you mean regarding the light on the Asters. I can't tell you how many hours I have invested waiting for one to actually land there, pose perfectly, and give me enough time to capture it! If they land there, it's usually momentary. Not only that, but they don't seem to be big fans of the sun. They tend to stay in more obscure light. There is a very narrow window of light in late morning when the sun casts light through the feeder area (without being too harsh). I think a few well placed posing branches would increase the odds of getting one in good natual light, but with enough background separation to blur properly. I may run down there this weekend, and if I see you there, I can show you where I mean. Always great hanging out with you. BTW - I still like our idea of the stuffed bunting and the timed trap door......but we'll have to keep that one out of the forum ;)

BPN Viewer
    I livein Coupeville, WA on beautiful Whidbey Island.
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this very much.