Thread: Questions about american white pelicans

Connie Mier

Default Questions about american white pelicans

Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday, I was paddling to the bird rookery on Biscayne Bay, near Miami Florida. I noticed a large figure in the shallow water and recognized it as a white pelican. Now, I see white pelican flocks by the hundreds on the gulf coast and Florida Bay during winter months through to late March and early April. Only once I have seen one lone white pelican in the summer, two years ago on Chokoloskee Bay (gulf coast).

On Biscayne Bay (Atlantic ocean), I've only seen on occasion small flocks flying over, but never in the water. Here it is mid-July and I come up on this lone white pelican.

Why is this bird in south Florida in the summer? My theory is that this is an old or sick bird who didn't make the last migration north. The bird does look a bit ragged

Some expert information concerning white pelicans would be so appreciated. Thank you!
    Connie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Connie- Good question! White Pelicans are inland, freshwater breeders. For example they nest in Manitoba in prairie Canada, and many other places of course. Like many seabirds they experience delayed maturation and do not breed for a few years (maybe 3-4 but I'll have to check) after fledging. Young, pre-breeding birds tend to hang out in over-wintering areas and a year or two before they commence breeding they might visit a few colonies and hang out. So this is a young, non-breeding bird, possibly fledged in 2008 spending summer in its wintering area.

Connie Mier

Hi John, thanks for the reply. This is good stuff! It never occurred to me that a young non breeding bird would stay in the wintering areas. But let me ask you, if that is the case, why don't we see more of these birds in the summer? Is it common for them to be alone like this? Thanks again for your knowledge!
    Connie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure Connie. They may be social in the winter and hang out in flocks in specific places. I'll ask some of the Floridian BPNer's to comment.

Fabs Forns

I have heard that the ones that come to West Florida in the winter are from Yellowstone. They should be all gone now, unless, as you think, there's a sick or disoriented bird. Good find!

Judd Patterson

Wow, Connie, that is an excellent find for Miami-Dade county in July. That is the first summering White Pelican that I've heard of...I'll ask some experts at work.

Fabs, it seems possible that a few of the White Pelicans in Florida are from the Greater Yellowstone region...but the Yellowstone birds really don't number all that many. I'm sure that our winter birds are a mix from a bunch of central/western breeding colonies. A couple of the biggest breeding sites are Chase Lake in North Dakota and the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Check out this link which has CBC (generally late December) and BBS (June) population maps.
    http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i1250id.html

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting Judd- I hadn't realised that this was such a rarity at this time of year.

As mentioned it is not uncommon for pre-breeding birds to stay on the wintering grounds and only start prospecting for a colony and mate when they get closer to breeding. This looks like an immature bird although I suppose it could be an adult out of breeding plumage and colour maybe due to illness or malnutrition. It is not uncommon for adult waterbirds to take a year off breeding and not even migrate to breeding grounds if they are compromised in some way.

Connie Mier

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm excited to know that this was such an interesting find! For the sake of research, I am posting a photo taken of the lone bird I found on Chokoloskee Bay two years ago almost to this date. This one looks old, notice the large patch of feathers missing. It also seemed to be larger in comparison to the one I spotted on Biscayne.
    Connie

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Attached Images Attached Images

I set out today in search of White Pelicans!

I photographed these White Pelicans today (from a distance)at 4PM(Yuck!).

All of the birds look like juveniles, the bird in the box in particular.

From my research it is believed that first year birds migrate to Florida in the fall and stay.
    They do not return to their breeding grounds until the following spring/summer, their second season.

It makes sense, less pressure on the food supply in breeding areas. Less pressure on food supply would help ensure that the productive adults and their babies are well fed.

Connie Mier

James thank you for your field contribution to this research study! And an excellent explanation to come with it. Best part of bird photography, IMO, is learning about the birds, so everyone's contribution here is appreciated.
    Connie

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Learn and love your subjects!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was out in Lake Okeechobee 2 weeks ago and there was a large flock of White Pelicans still there. I wondered at the time why they would still be here. I thought maybe because we had water this year!
    Larry <><