Thread: Colorado Locoweed Fields

Jared Gricoskie

Default Colorado Locoweed Fields

July in the Rockies is just wildflower overload. Found a great meadow of Locoweed in Rocky Mountain National Park. Locoweeds collect selenium from the soil, and at high concentrations can cause involuntary muscle spasms. Cowboys noticed their cattle acting crazy spasming in the fields, acting crazy or loco, and thats how they got their name.

D300, 24-85 f2.8-4 @ 62mm f10 1/200 ISO 200, tripod

Julie Kenward

So that's loco weed! Very cool image, Jared! I love the bright purples against the softer whites in this image. Compositionally, I think it would be stronger with more of the purple flowers and less of the white at the top (more of a 2/3 purple, 1/3 white ratio). I do like that the whites drop down in the front area of the image on the left side...it really draws your eye up and into the BG of the photo.

Alfred Forns

Thanks for the info Jared ... appropriate name :)

Jules has some good points I like the overall look and feel On the tech side also like the selected aperture, image has the right amount for the foreground flowers and the oof rear just look fine !!! I like it a lot !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice composition. The in focus lavender works well against the out of focus white. I agree that cropping some of the top might help. Now, I want to go to the Rockies to see these gorgeous flowers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very vibrant image the purple works well against the whites I bet this one is really nice at full resolution not downsized for the web.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy