Thank You Posts

Default Sunset Redpoll

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D200, 70-200 2.8 vr + TC 1.7
    focal length 340mm
    f/8, 1/320
    ISO 400
    EV + 0.7

I like the light, not so sure about the head angle. I haven't touched a camera in over a month, going through withdrawal symptoms seeing the incredible images posted here. I cloned out a twig on the left & applied a little Neat Image on the background.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose,composition and colors!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the smooth BG and colors in this one. I see what you mean about the head angle. Looks like the bird is ducking or something, not that such behavior is a bad thing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice shot, Caroline. Love the BG and colours. I agree about the head angle - a bit more of a turn toward you would have been nicer
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Axel Hildebrandt

I like the details and BG. Because of the pose the lack of eye contact doesn't bother me too much. What draws my attention is the difference between the sunlit plumage and the part that is not. There the whites have a slight blue cast. I also would give it a bit more room at the right.

Travis Novitsky

The clarity and feather detail in this image is stunning. I don't mind the head angle.....there is a sense of implied action as he looks like he's about ready to take off..... my only nit is the bird seems a bit too centered overall.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    I like the details and BG. Because of the pose the lack of eye contact doesn't bother me too much. What draws my attention is the difference between the sunlit plumage and the part that is not. There the whites have a slight blue cast. I also would give it a bit more room at the right.
    I was wondering about this, so the whole bird should have been in the sun, not just the head.
    Concerning the blue cast, even if the whites are reflected by the shaded snow they shouldn't have a color cast, correct? Thanks Axel, I learn from you all the time.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Darmo View Post
    I was wondering about this, so the whole bird should have been in the sun, not just the head.
    Concerning the blue cast, even if the whites are reflected by the shaded snow they shouldn't have a color cast, correct? Thanks Axel, I learn from you all the time.
    If the original is RAW, you could try to raise the color temperature so the whites in the shade look neutral and see if the sunlit part looks too warm. Alternatively, you could try to select the part with the blue cast and reduce the blue a few points. If the bird would have been completely sunlit this would not have been an issue.

Blake Shadle

Nice work capturing this beautiful little fella'... The background is excellent. I agree that the partial sun light, combined with the tail being out of focus, tends to draw my eye. The image is very sharp, and if you're getting this much of him at 340mm I have a feeling you're going to come away with some real winners!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure about the head angle? I gasped when I saw this one, so stunningly sharp and a great "rocket launcher" pose. Only wish that the BKGR were more evenly toned. Now I can go back and see what the others had to say...

ps: Now that I have read all the suggestions above I can say that I love this one exaclty as is. It is spectacular and I wish that it were mine.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Maxis Gamez

What a lovely colors you have here. The pose is very nice too. A little more DOF would of helped the rest of the body, but I like it as it is!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Not sure about the head angle? I gasped when I saw this one, so stunningly sharp and a great "rocket launcher" pose. Only wish that the BKGR were more evenly toned. Now I can go back and see what the others had to say...

ps: Now that I have read all the suggestions above I can say that I love this one exaclty as is. It is spectacular and I wish that it were mine.

later and love, artie
    Mr Morris, you made my day! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Darmo View Post
    Mr Morris, you made my day! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my image.
    Hi C, You are most welcome. Please call me artie. And do realize that I respect the opinions of those above with whom I have in a some ways disagreed.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Linda Robbins

I love this alert tensed pose. Beautiful colors and sharp details in the face. No nits at all from me, it is a lovely image.