Thread: Pray For Me

Julie Kenward

Default Pray For Me

Attached Images Attached Images

I was back out amongst the daylilies last night in the late evening sun with my macro lens and extension tubes attached when this guy came into view. He held still for quite awhile letting me try out several combinations of speed and aperture before moving on but, because of his size and the extension tubes, I only got a few images that "work." This was my favorite of the bunch.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f2.8 macro & extension tubes (20mm + 12mm I think)
    f3.5 @ 1/80th, ISO 200
    Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural light
    Processed in ACR & CS4; medium crop, cloned out a small piece of daylily on the ULC.

Fabs Forns

I love that BG that seems to go with the sentiment. Nice diagonal formed by the body, I may sharpen the face more.

Alfred Forns

Really good Jules !!! Not an easy critter to frame Over the top feel for me !!! Big Congrats !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jules,

Very nice. I agree with Fabs... the background works well with the subject and I like the diagonal line formed by the body.

My compliments on your hand holding technique... it can't be easy getting that sharp of an image at such a high magnification without a flash.

Julie Kenward

Richard, you'd be surprised at how good you can get at it when you hate to carry a tripod!

Plus, I had a retaining wall to lean against so that helped.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful BG,and a very nice pose.
    Thomas Herou

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice looking photo Jules. Nice and sharp and really like the way the colours work. I am not sure if I am seeing things or not but is there something alongside the insects left antenna- our right, towards the top?
    Dave

Ákos Lumnitzer

If anything, I find the 'perch' a little bright for my taste compared to the rest of the tonalities across the image. Great HH technique indeed and lovely comp. More positive thoughts from me than that one negative. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mike Moats

Hey Jules, a very cool images and agree on the good details and great color in the BG. Also agree ith Akos that the perch is a little brite but not a big issue.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Jules! Love the diagonal comp, the BG, exposure and excellent sharpness for HH, nice to find a cooperative one, everytime I come across one, there is way to much junk in the photo. Well done...I like it a lot!

Cheers!
    Bruce

Julie Kenward

Thanks everyone. I did actually tone down the perch a bit in pp as it was REALLY bright - a nice off-white/yellow daylily (which, coincidentally, is also what comprises the BG colors.) Dave, I can't remember if I had to clone a spot out around that top antenna or not but I bet I did. That might be what you're seeing. I'll give it another smooth over...thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jules. Lots of good comments above. This is one of my favorite insects - but we don't have any in northern MN. :( The background make this image for me. Now I'm waiting for the side view with the head turned to look directly at you! :)