Thread: Feathered Flurry

Travis Novitsky

Default Feathered Flurry

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but not so much to photography.....been at it for a while now and I love it. I did some quick browsing in the forums and made a few critiques and it looks like this is a really cool place to hang out. Here's an image that I made hand-held with a Canon Digital Rebel and Canon 100-400mm L IS lens set at 320mm, shutter speed 1/10, aperture f22, ISO 200. This is from Bosque del Apache in New Mexico, evening fly-in of snow geese. I must admit that I had inspiration for this image.....a while back now Kenn Christensen recommended the book "The Art of Bird Photography" and the image that struck me the most in that book was "Blizzard in blue". After seeing that image I knew that I had to go to Bosque. And now, here is a website where Arthur Morris himself might actually get to see my image! I would like to thank him for helping to give me the "bird bug" when it comes to photography....I mostly do landscape work of Lake Superior, but I enjoy wildlife photography just as much, thanks in no small part to his book!

As far as the image goes, be as kind or as cruel as you wish..... any comments or critiques are very much appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to sharing my experiences and expertise with folks on this site as time goes on.

Travis

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Travis. I must say that I like your first post. I don't usually take images like this myself but this one is pleasing to the eye. I think that the sunset colours and clouds really add to this image as does the higher density of birds in the lower part of thr image. More of them are more in focus and then the others start to thin out and get more blurred as you move up the frame.

Maxis Gamez

Hi and big welcome!

I really like these type of image, the colors are simply amazing. I would run the image with a NR software to reduce the noise, but that's about it!

Thank you and keep them coming!

Robert Amoruso

Welcome aboard Travis.

Like you I was inspired by Artie's books and on workshops. I have been going with him to Bosque since 2004 and making these types of images. When they work they are glorious as you have done here. I really like the layers in the sky in the BG. 1/10 of a second was perfect here as you were close so a slower shutter speed worked great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it, especially the really blurred ones. The single crane in the upc is way cool. I wish for more geese and more consistent blurring. I do not like the merged group of birds in the lr 1/3rds position.

later and love and glad to have inspired you. artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Travis. I like the colors of the BG and agree with Artie's suggestions.

Travis Novitsky

Wow, thanks guys for the quick welcome as well as your comments! They are much appreciated. The thicker clump of birds has always bothered me a bit as well....and the crane is by far my favorite bird in the shot....the blur on him just came out so nice....

Linda Robbins

Hi TJ and welcome to BPN!

The layers of bg color are simply gorgeous, and the single crane in the image is wonderful. Artie mentioned the nits. Looking forward to seeing more of your images!

Fabs Forns

Let me add my welcome too, Travis, lovely image :)

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Iove the colors and the timing!!!

Kenn Christensen

Hi Travis!...
    its great to see you (and your images) here!... I always loved this one of yours.... I tried some burs there as well... but did not have much success (yet)..... great work... and welcome...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! This is really good, love the pink & blue layers. Beautiful image.

Anita Rakestraw

Hi, Travis, very glad to see you here! I'm a huge fan of your landscapes and can hardly wait to see more of your images. This one is beautiful. I'm in way over my head here, but hoping some of the awesome talent and skills will rub off on me!

Travis Novitsky

Thank you all for your comments and for welcoming me to this wonderful site. I'm looking forward to being a member here! Seems like a great community.....