Thread: Photographing Bears Pano

Bob Reimer

Default Photographing Bears Pano

Attached Images Attached Images

I did this one at Artie's Silver Salmon Creek Lodge IPT in August 2007. Taken with D200, 80-400VR, two shots hand-held. Stitched with Photoshop CS3 automated stitching.

We had a nice foggy morning and when I returned to the lodge I could still see the group waiting for the momma and cubs to turn around. They were too far apart for the short telephoto so I made sure I got the downed tree in the background in both shots to get something to line up on.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome, Bob!

While I would say that the image itself was stitched together pretty seamlessly, panoramas still require the same compositional guidelines as traditional image making--the rule of thirds still apply.
    It works as a demonstration for what it was like to be on the IPT (and to photograph in the fog), but to be more than a snapshot it would need a strong, dominant subject and greater care with composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bob, Great to see you here. David's comments are right on. A hard crop from the top improves things, but the inclusion of the o-o-f foreground grasses is hard to overcome...

later and love to you and to Barb, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Robert Amoruso

Welcome Bob and say hi to Barb for me.

You showed this to me at the IPT and I liked it. Seeing it again yesterday I have been thinking about it and I think David was a good take on it. Being one of the photographers in the group, it brought up fond memories of the experience then. Now, I feel that compositionally, it can be approved with cropping at the top as well as at the bottom to remove the large OOF grasses. As a tighter pano, it may work better.

Thanks for posting.