Thread: First Light

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First Light

Attached Images Attached Images

First light on El Capitan and Bridalveil Falls from Valley View.

5.28.2009 at 6:13 am

5D MKII
    17 - 40L
    22mm
    f18
    1/8 second
    ISO 200
    RAW
    Some light Photoshop adjustments.

Lately I have been focused on the first moments of the sunrise and it's rays, trying to capture the light as it changes...these fleeting moments are really something to witness and capture...

I have before and after images but think that this one tells the story.

Any and All comments are welcome...

Does this work for you?

Thank you

Jerry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot well done/ Nice colours and water. I would tone down the sky a bit

Threads
    Thank You Posts

great scene and detail, light is magical. I agree with Kobus re the sky...:)
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Ákos Lumnitzer

YEah, another vote for sky, otherwise I find the comp strong and the light and colors wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Amoruso

Gerald,

Very unique light quality to the image. I like the tree backlighting, the composition and sun placement and the dual diagonals along the tree line that leads the eye to the sun. a slower shuter spped would have really been cool on that water - giving you even more a a silky feel. I suggest you try a reverse s-curve (more here http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=20434). Will open up the shadows and tone the highlights. I tried somethings but only the reverse s-curve panned out due to the JPG compression.

Other then that, working the original conversion or RAW is best way to go to get the highlights toned down.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Jerry,
    Been there a number of times myself! This is quite unusual and I like the flare and placement of the sun. composed nicely too with the lines and such. Yoou may want to try the sky tweaks as that will only strengthen the overall image. Has that first light/morning feel! Well done and thought out!