Thread: Cape Cod Sunrise

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape Cod Sunrise

© reserved, Richard Lovison

This was taken at Dennis Port. I always wonder if a blown out sun is acceptable or not in the big leagues... I'm sure someone will let me know. :)

Olympus E-1
    ZD 40-150mm @ 96mm
    manual exposure - 1/800 sec at f11
    2 stop GND filter

ISO 100

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful colors. The white line below the sun and the fog on the water realy add to the composition.
    I wish the sun was more toward the center of the frame. The sun is a little too bright to my taste but still overall a lovely picture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot, Richard! Love the colors and the fog. The sun looks fine to me. The only thing I wish is that the sun wasn't quite so close to the right side.

Roman Kurywczak

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Richard,
    I am actually OK with the sun as presented. Would I prefer a more diffused one?.....absolutely, but feel you did the best you could exposure wise and it also happens to work pretty well. I agree with a bit more placement to the left but my main recommendation in the re-post is a bit off the top to a pano crop(about 1/2 the sky above the sun)......just as was the case when you cropped Michael P's canyon shot......the crop emphasizes the fog/mist more and I even went with some off the bottom for a true pano image.....totally emphasizing the fog. This also makes the suns position feel better to me at least.... as it balances the rest of the scene nicely. Let me know your thoughts.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roman,

Most of the time I have agreed with your suggestions though I'm not sure this time. I don't dislike your crop though I like the balance of the sun's energy, fog and clouds better in mine. Maybe this is just due to a little 4-thirds aspect ratio prejudice and I need to come to my senses. :)

Roman Kurywczak

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lovison View Post
    Roman,
    Maybe this is just due to a little 4-thirds aspect ratio prejudice and I need to come to my senses. :)
    That is funny! I never look at an image as a standard ratio......just doesn't work sometimes......especially when the clouds don't cooperate (which unfortunately is a little too often). I'm so used to cropping with Gepe slide mounts that I've fallen in love with it in PS......can do the crop anywhere without trying to have a standard size fit.

I actually feel that if you have multiple ways to present an image.....it's a good thing. Nice luxury to have as it doesn't happen often!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

really nice shot well done. Like the orig more. you can maybe tone it down a bit

Ákos Lumnitzer

I do prefer Roman's suggested crop. It is stronger IMHO. Congrats on a fine image. :) Great colors!

Robert Amoruso

I would go with the crop Richard. I have very similar compositions and will have to post one. I don't always go for a ROT placement on the sun and think what you did here is AOK.