Thread: Black-necked Stilt

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-necked Stilt

Attached Images Attached Images

Sony A700~Sony70-400G@400mm~ISO200~F6.3~1/1600sec~Houston, Texas~6-18-2009
    I know the reflection isn't perfect, and I prefer they are not-it adds interest. However, I know this one is too imperfect. Nonetheless it adds a compositional balance, and I'm sticking with it! (It would be real easy to fake in PS) Anyway, I like the colors.
    comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

Ákos Lumnitzer

Nice one William. Do you feel a slight CCW rotation is in order? I kind of sense that. Great colors and as you said, the balance is fabulous. I would like a touch more space behind the rear. :)

Colin Morey

I agree with Ákos, the disturbance of the water doesn't quite seem level to me. I also think the crop is perhaps a bit too tight for some reason.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree on the comments above,but a very nice picture,love the colors,nice and sharp.thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beautiful exposure and nice capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the above posters, and would add that the eye area may need selective sharpening for web presentation. Nice colours throughout, and the exposure is perfect. I wish the reflection was a bit stronger, but leaving it in was still a good choice.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the low angle and the colors!

Octavio Campos Salles

Nice composition, walking stance and colors. Leave it as is, the reflection is fine to me. Agree on more space behind the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent exposure on both the whites and blacks Bill, and I feel this is nice and sharp. Good to see the partially raised leg. Comp wise, I would cut off at the bottom where the leg reflection joins the body, add to the right, and top.

Fabs Forns

I may also crop the head in the refection, since it is so unclear. Agree it is tight on both sides and top. Exposure right on. This may be a nice horizontal including the water trail.

Alfred Forns

Hi William I also agree on a horizontal composition .. would look great with that bg btw hard to do dynamic verticals with little space up front and here the reflection is not strong.

Love the exposure and light Excellent shadow detail while keeping good highlight, image is very sharp and excellent foot action !!! I like it a lot William !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys! About the reflection: good points, and I am in agreement. I am pretty easily convinced. Ultimately, I am more interested in how I can improve the next images and take compositional suggestions into consideration while framing through the viewfinder. For example, if I realize that the reflections won't do, I'll abandon the vertical orientation. regards~Bill

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent detail and colours
    Chris Kotze

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, with regards to reflections, I have two options, if the water is clear and calm, one will produce a clear reflection, depending on your angle of capture, thus, I include it. Having said that, if I realize through the view finder at the moment of capture, I see a clear reflection, the image is captured solely for that.

If the reflection does not turn out due to ripples and other factors, I will crop it off, and concentrate on the subject.

Cheers,

Stuart.