Thread: Gulf of Mexico Birdscape

Richard Peters

Default 13 second exposure Gulf of Mexico Birdscape

A shot from one of my visits to Florida, a Great Blue Heron in the Gulf of Mexico just after sunset. Exposure time of 13 seconds.

D3 with 50mm 1.4 AFS - I did a small write up on the story behind the image HERE on my blog for those interested :)

Last edited by Richard Peters; 05-26-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the colours, lines and blur of the water. Hard to see at this res but the bird looks a little blurred/translucent too. Some selective work to increase contrast may make it more of a focal point. Looks to be a dustbunny halfway up the sky 1/3 from the right. Well spotted to catch this image and nice co-ooperstion from the bird.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Richard Peters

Tony, good spot! A dust bunny has escaped me, grrrrr! lol

Your quite right the bird is a little translucent which at first bothered me and I was indeed going to darken him down. Once I started processing though I decided I liked the overall feel of the shot and, for me at least, it added to the overall mood of the image. Just one of those personal things I guess :D

Axel Hildebrandt

Great light, colors and interesting composition. I hope you can sharpen the bird a bit more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image has a nice feel to it, Richard. I like the colors and the diagonal comp of the blue water. IMO, the image would be even stronger if the bird had been further to the left.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very atractive result. The long exposure did its magic on thi scene. Colors are fantastic and love the burring effect of the long exposure on the waves, I agree with Steve about the position of the heron in the frame.

Fabs Forns

Lovely colors and idea. I'd love for the Heron to be more to the left, giving the sand more coverage, in other words, moving your camera to the left. Nicely done, though :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOvely looking photo and I am glad you posted it. The bit of blur around bird does not bother me. Lovely colours.
    Dave

Richard Peters

Thanks for the replies all :)

I agree the Heron would be better a little more to the left but he just would not play ball! I actually have a shot with more sand but due to the lack of light levels its just a big black area, so doesn't work.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, Lovely light and colours, and I like the use of a slow ss. I would also have placed the heron more to the left.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the colours here is wow. Like the water and comp. I just wish the bird was sharper. Well done here. Good eye