Thread: Red-billed Quelea (Quelea quelea)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-billed Quelea (Quelea quelea)

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favourite birds in Africa is the Red-billed Quelea. They fly in huge flocks at what appears to be impossibly close quarters. In this shot I was lucky enough to get them mostly in the same plane of focus and the fact that the majority have their wings folded lends it more weight in my humble opinion

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The fact that you caught them with most of their wings folded is really neat,but I'm not sure it works for the image. It is really hard to tell what is going on and they look like just a bunch of dark balls floating in the air until one notices the few birds with spread wings. Then it becomes clearer.

If you had a closer vew of fewer birds that allowed deatails in the heads to show, it might be whole different story.

Just a tad to the right of top-center, you have an evil dust bunny crashing the party.
    Last edited by Jim Poor; 02-01-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Alfred Forns

Also agree with Jim in this one With the folded wings they don't have much of a shape? Do like the idea and beautiful setting Enjoy very much seeing these type images !!!!

Blake Shadle

Hi Per-Gunnar! I agree about the wingless little guys. I think the image would have a lot more impact if the majority had spread wings. Do you have another frame where the majority of them have spread wings?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unfortunately I only managed to get this shot as I was having big focussing problems :(