Thread: Canada warbler

Jeff Nadler

Default Canada warbler

Added: 2 problems with this image. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
    Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
    Aperture: 7.1
    Exposure mode: Av
    Flash: External E-TTL
    Flash exposure compensation: -1
    Metering mode: Evaluative
    Drive mode: Continuous
    ISO: 800
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
    Focal length: 700mm
    AF mode: AI Servo AF
    Last edited by Jeff Nadler; 05-18-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeff,
    Nice one! The gray on my screen seams a bit washed out. How much crop? Flash settings? Thanks, Bob

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kill me why don't you. I have driven 5,500 miles in search of warblers.... Love the clean setting, the singing pose, and the BKGR. Bigger would be better for this superb image.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeff, nice image of a neat species! The only thing I'd do is clone out the OOF twig in front of Mr. Canada and maybe the two light lines behind the bird.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous photo of this species. One I have yet to photograph......well not in Canada anyways...

Jeff Nadler

Added: 2 problems with my image IMO. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nadler View Post
    Added: 2 problems with my image IMO. Strong winds moving the branches sacrificed sharpness I think. Second, the Better Beamer at close range washed out some detail. I will not use the beamer when close like this.
    Hey Jeff, Here is a big time pro tip revealed so far only in our BAA Bulletins: when you have the Beamer on and are working very close, simply slide down the diffusion screen in front of the flash head (assumming that you are using a flash that has one such as the 580 EX). This will show as 14mm for the zoom and will mminimize the flash. Then when working on birds that are farther away, simply raise and store the diffusion screen.

Also, unless there are over-exposed pixels, you should be able to get the image to look exactly as you wish. Let me know if you need some help with that.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Like this. Darkened using Levels and Selective Color adjustments. I also used a 15% blue Photo Filter to unblock the yellows.

Jeff Nadler

Artie, that looks sooooo much better. Thanks for taking the time to assist. I will do this on my own this evening. I can definitely see more plumage detail!

Also thanks for the flash tip-that is the flash I own.

I am thinking better to have the issue I have than serious underexposure - which at ISO 800 would introduce noticable noise when lightening during the processing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW Jeff. I added two points of black to both the mid-tones and the blacks in Selective Color (I have an action for that) and in viewing my repost thought that I could have gone a bit darker with the blacks in the mid-tones. This and tons more equally great tips are in our Digital Basics File.

Francis Bossé

Jeff,

You may have a look at that PS plug in (Nik Software Color Efex Pro): http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

There are one filter name "Tonal Contrast" in the package where you could bring back contrast in high, mid, black tones. It work great on color without details.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pose, soft light, comp, and BG, I like it very much. Repost does look better. Congratulations!