Thread: Peregrine Falcon (looking down the barrel)

Glenn Ehmke

Default Peregrine Falcon (looking down the barrel)

Attached Images Attached Images

There’s a resident pair of Peregrine Falcons that breed near where I live, and occasionally I come across them when they’re actively nesting. They nest in a sandstone cliff about 75m high if you stand on the edge of that cliff they take turns dive bombing and screeching at you until you get the heck out of there! I used to have a 100-400 IS zoom, and this pic was zoomed back at 235mm, almost full frame (cropped to vertical).

I could only just pan fast enough for the birds! One of the most awesome things I’ve experienced!

Canon EOS 30D, EF100-400mm IS USM, 1/2000Sec. F6.3, Exposure Compensation 0, ISO 400, 235.0 mm, AI Servo AF.
    Levels, curves, shadow/highlights, noise reduction and sharpened slightly.

Glenn

Mike Wilson

Oh my! Awesome flight image. Only one thing wrong with it, not big enough. Please post this one larger so we can enjoy the details. Fantastic stuff here.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Lovely photo Glenne, is this one of the Edithvale Falcons? and how did you not fall over backwards when taking it?

Glenn Ehmke

Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, sorry about that Mike, I struggled with the file size on this one for some reason - just didn't want to get to 140kb without significant jpg compression (looked quite bad with the compression so I went with reduced res).

Here's a cropped up version with a bit more detail in.

Thanks for the comment.

Glenn

Glenn Ehmke

Thanks Chris,

Not Edithvale, it's on the coastal cliffs on the Nepean Paninsula. No chance of falling back on that shot, the bird was almost perfectly horisontal to me as I stood on the cliff edge.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Lovely Glenne!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenne, yes they are a magnificant falcon and he appears to be eyeing you off as he sweeps pass!! Good action and lighting on the bird. I prefer the original full version but it's frammed a bit tight. You could reduce your cropping so that there was more space for the falcon to fly into and add some extra canvas top and bottom (if your ethics allow).

Jody Melanson

Cool image! Look at the size of that boys mitts!

David Roach

Talk about a stare down!!!! You took full advantage on this one, my friend!!!