Default Berkshire Spring

© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Image taken in Lenox Massachusetts.

Olympus E-1
    ZD 14-54mm @ 54mm
    1/50th sec @ f8
    tripod
    3 RAW images were combined to produce a HDR image
    Last edited by Richard Lovison; 04-26-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Richard,
    Nice placement of the tree compositionally in the ROT position and I really like the green tones in this. I am debating the 2 FG white flowers......even though they do lead you to the tree.......seem a bit out of place tonally with the rest.....but am actually OK with them. I really like the way the tree stands out from the BG (you kept the top in the D green) but I would be tempted to bring it up even more. I do realize that you lose quite a bit....especially here in landscapes......when we compress to jpeg.....B4 printing......try darkening the BG treeline behind it a hair......or lighten the tree a hair by doging.....yeah.....it may be overboard.....but worth a try!
    Nice job on the HDR and composition. Nicely done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. I too like the tree placement and the vibrant colors all around. I never would have guessed it was an HDR image. I like the 2 white flowers. Not only do they lead the eye as Roman said, they add a bit of compositional/color relief adding realism to the scene.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Kurywczak View Post
    Hey Richard,
    Nice placement of the tree compositionally in the ROT position and I really like the green tones in this.
    Thanks.

I am debating the 2 FG white flowers......even though they do lead you to the tree.......seem a bit out of place tonally with the rest.....but am actually OK with them.
    They were unusual as they were the only white flowers near where I was photographing and I thought they could be used to draw the eye into the scene.

I really like the way the tree stands out from the BG (you kept the top in the D green) but I would be tempted to bring it up even more. I do realize that you lose quite a bit....especially here in landscapes......when we compress to jpeg.....B4 printing......try darkening the BG treeline behind it a hair......or lighten the tree a hair by doging.....yeah.....it may be overboard.....but worth a try!
    When you wrote "bring it up even more" are you referring to bringing up the tree in the image by shooting closer to the ground? If I would have shot lower I could possibly have brought the top of the tree into the sky area and further separated the tree from the background.

I tried dodging the tree though it just appeared a bit washed out and weak. Maybe just poor technique on my part. I haven't tried darkening the BG treeline yet.

Thanks for taking the time to look and offering your opinions.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cordes View Post
    Excellent image. I too like the tree placement and the vibrant colors all around. I never would have guessed it was an HDR image. I like the 2 white flowers. Not only do they lead the eye as Roman said, they add a bit of compositional/color relief adding realism to the scene.
    Ed,

Thanks for the critique.

It was a quick HDR attempt. The lighting was extremely harsh that afternoon with very bright sun though the sky wasn't clear... it had an unusual bright, hazy white-blue color to it. Even with the use of a polarizer I was unable to darken it much.

So what I did was take the original RAW exposure and develop it three times... one using the "as shot" exposure, one with 1 stop overexposure and one with 1 stop underexposure and then combined the three in HDR software. The only part of the image that dramatically changed was the sky which was what I was after. I then cropped about half the sky out of the image.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Richard,
    I tried darkrning the midtones with a levels layer.....down to 93 on the slider.....on just the middle ground of treeline around the star tree.....seemd to pop the spring blooms even more. Try it and re-post if you like it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to get a pen tablet... drawing with a mouse is no fun. :) Any suggestions for medium priced unit?

Anyhow, here is the result of using the lasso tool for selection and a levels adjustment of the midtones to 90.. I like it. :) Thanks Roman.

© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison
    Last edited by Richard Lovison; 04-27-2009 at 09:37 AM.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Richard,
    Nice job on the re-post.....really does pop the tree in the early spring green. Sometimes little tweaks go a long way!

Rich Ikerd

Sometimes the simple images turn out to be the best. I too like the placement of the tree and its contrast with the distant hills. The repost is much better since the solitary tree almost jumps off the screen. Nicely done.