Thread: Can this work?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Can this work?

Attached Images Attached Images

Purple Gallinule

I was experimenting with some slow shutter speeds and I found this model.
    The only adjustments made are some cloning, sat boost and crop.

Canon 30D
    Canon 35-350@300
    ISO 400
    f/22
    Shutter speed 1/3sec.
    Exposure time 1/2sec.
    handheld
    Exposure comp. 0

Advise and help most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like it Juan. Love the contrast between the bird and the BG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Vindas View Post
    I was experimenting with some slow shutter speeds and I found this model.
    I'm sure some will like this image. But if I may ask, why did you start experimenting with slow shutter speeds (and probably some camera movement)? What do you want to show, communicate to the viewers that a clear sharp image can't?

I am assuming you have something in mind, something you wanted to achieve before you started your experiments? I have experimented with slow shutter speeds myself but basically the panning stuff. I remember decades ago there was a photographer who essentially did what you're showing here. All his photos I've seen on the magazines are all blurry. To me, it essentially is painting with light, the film or now the sensor being the canvas. It largely is photographs of colors. I was thinking: "well, at least he doesn't need a tripod." :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Chan View Post
    I'm sure some will like this image. But if I may ask, why did you start experimenting with slow shutter speeds (and probably some camera movement)? What do you want to show, communicate to the viewers that a clear sharp image can't?

I am assuming you have something in mind, something you wanted to achieve before you started your experiments? I have experimented with slow shutter speeds myself but basically the panning stuff. I remember decades ago there was a photographer who essentially did what you're showing here. All his photos I've seen on the magazines are all blurry. To me, it essentially is painting with light, the film or now the sensor being the canvas. It largely is photographs of colors. I was thinking: "well, at least he doesn't need a tripod." :)
    Hi Desmond

As a beginner I like to experiment as much as I can and when the opportunity comes I like to take advantage of that. In this particular case there was no camera movement, or almost not.
    Your question about what do I want to show to the viewers is that may be we all are a little tired of seen a tack sharp picture of a purple gallinule, so I said to myself, well, this could not only be different but could also give a some chance to practice, as I mention above, I am learning and trying these sort of things is good for my learning curve.
    Believe me, I am not a big fan of blurred images, but I guess that by trying to do something that I am not used to, can help me to understand photography a bit better and how to get the most out of my camera, after all, I want to become a photographer, not a camera carrier!:D

Lance Peters

Hi Juan - I like the BG looks like something from out of photoshop - I agree with desmond its more of a painting with light - nothing wrong with that and good on you for experimenting.

Most of these type images to be successful require the eye area to be sharp.

keep experimenting :)

Gus Cobos

This is one fast critter Juan Carlos...:eek::D I like what you were trying to do...looking forward to your next one...:):cool:

Alfred Forns

Juan Carlos .... you didn't bring out your flash unit :D

Love the image .... would make it a little brighter particularly around the head area and sure wish the bird was not going away from you, same guidelines seem to apply. Do love the crazy feet motion !!!

Desmond will answer you question and its a good one. First let me say I'm a huge fan of blurs so take it with a grain of salt .... and it will be an upcoming assignment ... suggested by Jackie !!!

Blurs just look beautiful on their own, can stand on their own merit. I feel you can express moods a lot better than with straight images and gives you an added dimension, also will allow you to make images when you can not otherwise. At the end of the day when you are loosing light and sharp is not possible ... go to blur !! btw I carry neutral density filters for my hand held and drop in for 500 just for blurs !!!