Thread: Gatorland

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gatorland

Looks like I may finally make it to Gatorland. Looking for insight into what type of lenses to take and also places to stay in the area. I am looking to go next weekend.

Thanks

Filemon

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you stay for the evening light 400mm is good and 500mm is better IMO for shooting across the pond to get the baby's in the nests and incoming spoonbills. I usually don't use a TC with my 500 here and just move into the position across from where I want to be. I usually also have the Canon 70-200 with and w/o a TC on another body for all the activity thats close by and in your face flights. If you have the 200-400 I think you would be covered.

On 192 there are tons of inexpensive motels ( some a little seedy looking, some not so ) heading west towards I-4. Maybe ask Maxis where he stays when he is over this way.

Rene A

Filemon,

I was at Gatorland last week and used 24-105 on 1 body and 100-400 on 50D I also had a tripod with 500.. but did not use it.. If you use a 500 maybe a kinko tubes would be good. We always stay at Comfort Suites Main Gate EAST. You get the best & cheapest price $ 84 includes all taxes) online at www.choicehotels.com ) it's at OLd town Kissimmee.. and the rooms are nice & clean and its a non smoking hotel.

Hope this helps.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are some Howard Johnsons which are nearby and not bad at all for about $50. They do accept AAA discounts also.

Both mornings and afternoons are excellent for bird photography but completely different. I would bring my extension tubes, 1.4tc, 70-200, and 400 or 500. Enjoy...you won't want to go home.

Forgot to add flash & tripod are also needed.
    Last edited by Marina Scarr; 04-13-2009 at 09:04 PM.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Maxis Gamez

To elaborate a little more....

You can do a search on Hotels.com and find something near Gatorland's zip code (32837). Last time I was there my hotel was under $50. You won't spend much time in the hotel so why pay more?

As far as lenses goes, I only bring my 500mm and 70-200 with a 20mm Kenko tube and my flash set up and tripod of course!

Have fun!