Thread: Fern On Burn

Mike Moats

Default Fern On Burn

Attached Images Attached Images

While shooting in Yosemite I was waiting for the right light to shoot a small falls on the side of a road when I spotted an old burned area under a bridge that was taken over by these ferns. A life and death shot. Shot this with my first digital SLR, Fuji S2 Pro, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, F22 at 20 sec. Its won a couple of awards and was published a few times.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another great pattern and texture image Mike - I also love the play of colour here - the bright emerald green against the blue/cyan log.
    I do like the blues in an image, usually a result of shadow, but I am never sure if I should remove some or all of the cast as the eye doesn't normally see it. What are your thoughts here Mike.

Robert Amoruso

Mike, this is ultra cool. The contrast between the fern and the burned wood is stunning. I am really liking this. The diagonal lines in the fern, both the direction of the leaves and just the fact the ends create a diagonal works well as do the diagonals in the wood.

Mike Moats

Hey John, The thing I love about digital photography is the ability to manipulate the colors through photoshop. I view my photography as an art, with me in control of the composition and the final product. I don't process images based on what I see in the field. Some image I process the colors with an artistic feel rather than an realistic look. I never expect that everyone will understand or except this idea, but I have to do what make me feel good when I look at my mages. Some will love it, and some will hate it, but thats ok. Art will always be subjective, and when your trying to make a living at it, you better hope the majority agree's with you.:cool:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike.

Gorgeous shot! I love the amazing detail you got from using F22 !!
    I also like and agree on your apraoch towards the colours. I too am often criticised on the colours i use in my photography, but to me the final picture is what counts and not the fact that i should portray something as seen out in the field.
    Keep those beauties coming!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Mike Moats

Hey Jeroen, the original is way sharp, but I always have problems scaleing my images down for the web. I tend to lose sharpness on some of my images. Thanks.

Jim Caldwell

Great image, Mike! I really like the repeating, yet condensing pattern of the fern leaves. I assume you were waiting for softer light, would you care to elaborate more?

Mike Moats

Hey Jim, it was late afternoon and still some harsh light on the falls we were wanting to shoot when we found this area next to the falls and under a large bridge. The area I shot this was shaded by the bridge.

David Steele

Mike, this is what macro and photography is all about. An image to be really proud of - and you were probably the only person to see it. . . .

Mike Moats

Thanks, David.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love every part of it. I can see why it won awards.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

every fine detail is so visible.
    lovely composition.
    and 20 secs exposure ... very lucky that nothing moved.

rgds,
    Kaushik