Thread: 500 Down...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 500 Down...

Attached Images Attached Images

This Brown Pelican was photographed on the recently concluded San Diego IPT with the Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens, the 2X TC, and the EOS-1Ds MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/250 sec. at f/9.

I have been photographing these birds for more than two decades and will never tire of their beauty.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. And later and love, artie

ps: This is my 500th post.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-27-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

George DeCamp

Hey Artie

Man, I never saw them in these breeding colors, very sweet image! I am guessing, was this was taken in La Jolla? I read there was a problem accessing the usual spot at La Jolla Cliffs...hope that is not true as I hope to go back there one day.

Welcome home and thanks for posting this, an awesome image sir!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent colors, pose, and sharpness! Well done.

Tom Callahan

This is beautful. great color and sharp. Did you crop at all or was this what the lens was able to capture? Any other post processing techniques?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Callahan View Post
    This is beautful. great color and sharp. Did you crop at all or was this what the lens was able to capture? Any other post processing techniques?

I actually added a bit of canvas to the top and the right. Did a Levels adjustment and lightened (believe it or not) the deep blues with a Curves color adjustment of the blue channel. The images always then get a bit darker when I execute my j-peg action...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For those of you curious as to what an eye looks like when you have 22 million pixels to work with I offer the image below.

Later and love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although I tend to lean away from the tight shot, and personally look for the environmental type image, I will say this is very cool, and interesting., awesome light, and post processing., well done Artie.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the details are incredible, but you don't get more sharpness with that combo !?

I assume it's a 100 % unsharped crop..?

Alfred Forns

Sweet !!!! Just perfect from my end Had a full sensory overload photographing those birds this past week !!!

................ big Congrats on the 500 !!!!!!!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Unbelievably beautiful and the colors are over the top. Awesome that you got so close and the details are fantastic Artie. What a great week it must have been.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great colors, details and composition. I'd love to see this species in full breeding plumage. The BG looks a bit noisy on my monitor.

Fabs Forns

Wonderful display of colors, Maestro.

Glad you are up and running!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The crop of the eye makes me drool. A very nice image and comp. The bill leading into the LLC is great, but the point of exit is OOF to my eyes. Sweet breeding plumage.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow that's a lot of detail. It might sound wierd, but I like this one rotated 180 degrees CCW.

Linda Robbins

Very ART-istic. I like the unique pose and close up view of those amazing colors. Beautiful. That eye detail makes me want to spring for a 1 Ds M IIII....

Marc Latrémouille

It's only with pictures like these that one can really admire their beauty.

Well presented.

Marc

Del Cockroft

What else can one say?? This is the 'Maestro' at work. Brilliant!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Great colors, details and composition. I'd love to see this species in full breeding plumage. The BG looks a bit noisy on my monitor.
    Thanks Axel for waking me up. Noise with the 1Ds MIII can be a bit problematic (as the pixels are much smaller than with the MIII) even at ISO 400. I have turned in-camera NR off as it reduces the buffer to two images. I went back and got the best results using the NR in DPP but still had to do a small (4 pixel) Gaussian Blur on the BKGR. In addition, there were several other things (mostly with the color) that I did not like about the image (the whites were too red). So I re-did the master file and have you to thank.

There is a great lesson here for everyone: Even Mr. Famous Bird Photographer can benifit from honest critiques done gently. All are invited to let me know what they think of the re-post.

later and love to all and a hug for Axel. artie

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wish there were an easy way to see them side by side to compare.

Mike Wilson

Great looking specimen here Artie. Fun shooting with the BPN crew on the cliffs last week. The repost is much tastier. I like the lighter blue and the smoother texture as well, the bird is, of course, amazing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic Portrait Artie I love it......

Isak Pretorius

Stunning portrait! Composition and light makes this a winner. (Second post much better for color and noise...)
    Last edited by Isak Pretorius; 01-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Georgina Salup

This is just too perfect! This is my dreamed shot. Congratulation, Artie.