Thread: Great Grey Heron

John Harper

Default Great Grey Heron

Hi There

Shot of a Wild Great Grey Heron taken at the Hawk Conservancy as it flew past on its way to a feed. I was trying out my 1DMKIII to see if it focused OK in sunlight, as we haven't had much of that since the New Year.

John

EOS 1D MKIII
    EF 500mm F4L
    ISO 800
    1/4000 @ F4

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The focus looks fine to me. Wish that the bird's head were turned a bit more towards you. Love the backlighting on the wing and the bill. If it fits with your personal ethics you might do something like the image below.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The focus looks fine to me. Wish that the bird's head were turned a bit more towards you. Love the backlighting on the wing and the bill. If it fits with your personal ethics you might do something like the image below.

later and love, artie
    Hi Artie

The re worked image looks great can you please enlighten me as to what you did?

John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have nailed this one John - lovely sharp image with raised wings. I also like the treatment Art has made in the repost, especially the cloning out of the white areas at top of frame - these tended to draw my eye away from the subject.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Harper View Post
    Hi Artie

The re worked image looks great can you please enlighten me as to what you did?

John
    Hi John,

I used the Clone stamp at about 60% opacity on the areas of whitish sky. Then I made a Quick Mask of the upper part of the sky and all the specualar hightlights. I inverted the selection and put it on its own layer. Then I did a Gaussian Blur (about 20 pixels or so) on that layer and voila, mucho improvedo.

The basics of Quick Masking are in the recent update of our Digital Basics flie.

later and love,

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Artie's repost improves this great image a lot. I like the wing position and BG.

Linda Robbins

The backlighting works well in this image, and Artie's repost made the background soft and complimentary. Very nice.